We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flu Outbreak

Grapevine, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Flu Outbreak

Hi gurus!

I'm preparing for a trip to your lovely city in 29 days (but who's counting!) and had a question.

How bad is the flu outbreak there? I am pregnant and debating on getting the flu shot at all, but if the virus is outrageous there, it will put me over the edge on the decision and I will bite the bullet and get it. Now convincing my better half to get it will not be easy!

Happy Monday! Thanks in advance!

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flu Outbreak

I would rather get the shot then the flu.

What does your Dr.say?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flu Outbreak

Get the flu shot. There's no reason not to get the flu shot, and the flu is a terrible thing to have on vacation, and even worse when you're pregnant.

Tell your partner to be a grown up and get it too. You'll be helping all the people who can't get vaccinated.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flu Outbreak

I didn't get my flu shot this year.

I'm not sure if what I had was the flu or not but it was certainly worse than any cold I can recall having in recent memory. Run over by a freight train doesn't even begin to paint the picture.

I had my flu shot last winter but we had such a mild winter - I don't know.

I still haven't had a flu shot this year. I think flu season really starts to loosen its grip as we get into February. I think November through January is the peak (but I'm not an expert on the flu - I don't know)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flu Outbreak

Seems to me the flu is dying down. What do others think?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,876 posts
5,488 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flu Outbreak

If you are traveling, get the shot...unless your doctor advises otherwise,

The flu shot is closely aligned to the virus here (which is good news)

It may help to protect that vacation investment,,,

the flu bug here seems to hit some very very hard....requiring bed rest..

and one day you're feeling great; the next day you're feeling bad even in bed.

With traveling, its next to impossible to not be exposed to it some way, some how.....since you are out in the public so much.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flu Outbreak

What does your doctor think? Personally I wouldn't fly at this time of year without one ...I do ok on planes, but I couple of people I know almost ALWAYS get a nasty cold or upper respiratory infections after flying.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flu Outbreak

I was pregnant during last year's flu season. Your immune system is already compromised by pregnancy. Travel compromises it further. Being pregnant heightens the chance of serious complications. This is a no-brainer. Get the flu shot.

Grapevine, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flu Outbreak

Thanks for the advice- I'll get it a few weeks before we leave!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flu Outbreak

It takes 2 weeks to 'kick in' so the sooner the better, imo. Flu season is winding down and will continue to do so over the next 29 days. With all things related to pregnancy: follow doctor's orders.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flu Outbreak

Yea good idea getting the flu shot!