We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Oslo
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

Got a trip to NY for my 50th birthday from my husband, and we are going for ten days in March, taking our boys 12&14 yrs with us.

We have been to NY a couple of times before, last time was 3 years ago, stayed 5 nights at a hotel near Madison sq garden. Would like a different location this time...

I really find it hard to make a choice of which area to pick hotel in, our budget is max 300$ a night, and we can enjoy both luxury and more trendy bohemian style ... I have made some hotel reservation, but doesn't really know what to choose. Have read the description of the areas on this site, but would really appreciate some more advice. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

Rather than picking an area, I think you first need to find hotels that will accommodate your family with the correct number of beds at the price you want to pay. A room for 4 for $300/night is not going to be easy to find so it's pointless (imo) to worry about an area without first finding out what real options you have. Will the boys be willing to share a double bed??? If not, that limits your options even further. Bottom line, I don't think you'll find either trendy or bohemian hotels with rooms for 4 at that price if you're coming when all the other kids are also out of school.

Post back exact dates and how many beds you need (and which hotels you've already reserved). 10 days is a long time and you want to avoid being uncomfortable.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

Hi!

I have booked The Hampton in Manhattan Chelsea (4 pers room 300 $ a night) and the Hampton In Soho (4 pers room 266 $ a night) so it really is a question which one to keep.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

I have received some more tips from my Norwegian friends, they vote for SoHo or Williamsburg :-)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

Since hotel prices fluctuate dramatically by exact date, and number of beds needed is a huge factor, it's difficult for forum members to have enough context to offer advise.

It's great that you've found two good affordable options for your dates. Both locations are good and will be far more interesting than staying near MSG.

It looks like the Chelsea location has rooms with two queen beds, whereas the Soho location has rooms with two double beds. The Queen beds will be much more comfortable for sharing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

Hampton Inn Chelsea rooms with 2 beds are queens, much more comfortable than doubles which is what's at Hampton Inn Soho. Rooms are also smaller with 2 doubles. The bed size difference is only 6 inches in width, but it's an important 6 inches imo. Both of those hotels include breakfast. The Mulberry Hotel and the Best Western Hanbee also have rooms with 2 queens and are sort of bohemenian in location nearish Chinatown. I don't know if any of the Williamsburg hotels have rooms for 4.

The Nu hotel in Brooklyn has family rooms with bunkbeds, but it's not in Williamsburg.

Nuhotelbrooklyn.com

Between the 2 Hampton Inns, I'd go for the space on Chelsea.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

Thank you, NyWiz! I always get confused with the bed types,I thought doublebeds were larger than queenbeds...

I will be checking out The Mulberry as well. A friend said the OffSoho Suites were ok, with kitchen etc. Any experience with that place?

7. Re: Which area to stay, Chelsea, Soho, UN plaza... Help, anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 07, 2014