We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Also need hotel help!

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Also need hotel help!

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to NYC in October this year, we are both in our early 30s. I've been browsing on this site and others and am feeling rather overwhelmed by it all! We are prepared to pay up to $500 a night (we are staying 5 nights) but only if it is REALLY worth that kind of money. The most important factor for us would be great views, either classic Manhattan skyline stuff or a park view (not asking much I know, lol!). A 1-king size bedded room would be fine with us. Location-wise, would prefer mid-town - intend to do shopping and th usual kind of sights.

Any particular recommendations? Any help would be more than welcome!

Thanks

Sharon

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Also need hotel help!

1. Ritz Carlton Central Park

2. Trump Tower

3. Mandarin Oriental

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Also need hotel help!

Thanks, Voyagereuse, I will check out in more detail your recommendations.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Also need hotel help!

While I agree with those recos, they may be over your budget for a park view room. The Essex House (recently changed ownership and may be under renovation) has some awesome park views and is under your budget on quikbook.com.

The New York Palace is well located (behind St. Patrick's) and has some nice views on the upper floors. You might also check the Bryant Park Hotel. Smaller boutique hotel in central location. Trendy but nice. Upper floors of the Sofitel also possibility.

Some of the hotels in the Times Square area have awesome views (Marriott Marquis, Doubletree Times Square, Westin, Hilton Times Square, Renaissance) but that location is tourist central and not the best for shopping.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Also need hotel help!

Thanks, nywhiz! Having done more research, those hotels look like they are more within our budget. Really like the look of the Bryant Park, but hope it's not too pretentious?

Thanks again,

Sharon

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Also need hotel help!

I think a lot of the 'trendy" hotels can be a bit pretentious but the Bryant Park is less so imo (although I hear their restaurant Koi is FULL of attitude). Not sure how likely you are to get a view though as I don't think the building's very tall. Great location though.

Fwiw, the website hipguide.com has a list of hotels. It reminded me of the W Union Square. Worth considering. Not in midtown.