We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to choose?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel to choose?

I would be really grateful for any advice of opinions on hotels in NYC

Budget of 400-500USD per night

Need 2 separate beds

2 travelers (18yo daughter and Dad)

Dates: 27th January 2013 to 31st January 2013

In terms of what we're doing, going to a Broadway show, to the basketball, shopping, some sightseeing and we definitely want to eat great food.

We'd like a 4 or 5 star luxury boutique stye hotel. As far as location, we were thinking downtown but are open to anything really!!

Thanks in advance for your time.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,993 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Can't really help you much. Not "downtown" area, but Mela and Affinia Shelbourne are nice boutique style hotels. ...sure hope you found something as your trip is in a few days!!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Sorry, I can't relate to a 500$ budget

I'm sure you'll enjoy whereever you go ....

(given a choice, i think I'd go for the Waldorff, but the Plaza is probably a better bet...bed...^_^)

Kansas
Level Contributor
448 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Having just come back from a very similar trip with my 15 year old daughter, I would highly recommend The Sanctuary Hotel on 47th. Its very close to Times Square but incredibly quiet.

My budget was considerably lower than what you have listed but they have twin beds in smallish rooms and a fantastic staff.

My daughter's favorite shopping was in Nolita- at the suggestions of the Sanctuary staff!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to choose?

I would strongly suggest against the Sanctuary. Very NOT private bathrooms. There are miles better options.

Downtown look at Trump Soho and possibly Crosby St. O the James. Just not sure whether they have rooms with 2 proper beds. If you wanted to be midtown near the theaters, Trump International at Columbus Circle is great with a great restaurant. he London is also very good but not sure about the 2 beds. The Greenwich in Tribeca and the Bowery on the low east side are also really nice but again,maybe mot 2 beds (they set these up for couples). The WUnion Square is a great location for shopping and eating. The new Hyatt Union Square is another option.

Check out

Oyster.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to choose?

If you book your dates in Quikbook, there is the Gramercy park hotel that comes in at under 400$ with 2 double beds. It is pretty much near downtown and is supposed to have an "exclusive" feel to it. It is a hotel I would love to try if I had the budget;-)

6. Re: Which hotel to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:24 pm, January 24, 2013
Kansas
Level Contributor
448 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to choose?

I'm confused, nywhiz, how are the Sanctuary bathrooms NOT private?

Edited: 10:40 am, January 25, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to choose?

The rooms are so small, that in order to have room for a bathroom, they use a curtain instead of a door to separate the shower from the bedroom.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

With a budget of $400, this father and daughter can do a LOT better.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Thank-you so much for your wonderful replies!

We have just booked the Gramercy Park Hotel, which had a room available with 2 double beds in it.

We looked closely at the hotels you suggested (thanks particularly to you, nywhiz, for your comprehensive suggestions!) and then made our choice based on

1). the style of the hotel - we looked at the photos on oyster.com and the hotel's website. We decided not to go for sleek and modern.

2). the availability of the hotel. This turned out to be the clincher in our decision - we rang the Bowery, Greenwich Hotel and Crosby Street and none were available on our dates with a room or a suite with two separate beds. The perils of last-minute holidaying! So, Gramercy Park it is.

Gramercy Park also came in under our budget, which is always nice :-) And we really like the sound of the attached restaurant. The rooms do sound smaller than some of the other hotels we were looking at, but we figure we won't be in them often! Plus with the cold weather it might be nice to feel cozy.

Once again, thank-you so much for giving your time and expertise in response to my question. It is much appreciated.

Edited: 3:12 am, January 26, 2013
Kansas
Level Contributor
448 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to choose?

Haha...I agree, nywhiz, curtains would NOT be good :)

However, that was definitely NOT the case with our room, #516. It was a small room with a decent sized bathroom, great shower and a solid door between.

I agree on your budget points, thanks.

Edited: 9:12 am, January 26, 2013