We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dream Trip

Birmingham
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dream Trip

Hi, I am sure that no one wants to think about christmas but I could do with some help please, we have just booked our dream trip to New York for Thanksgiving we will arrive on 27th Nov-2nd Dec and are staying at the London NYC. We plan to attend the Macy's Parade, and as I understand a lot of the shops will be closed we thought it would be a good time to walk in Central Park, and go to the Empire State Building? We would like to have a traditional thanksgiving dinner in the evening so I would appreciate some suggestions please? Our budget would be about $80-100 for 2. Also does anyone know when after thanksgiving the tree at the Rockerfeller is lit as we would love to see this, and will most of the lights and window displays be in place at this time? Finally as I understand black Friday will be madness at the stores is it best to visit other areas on this day or maybe just select 1 or 2 stores to visit? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dream Trip

You're going to have a wonderful trip. For restaurants, check out opentable.com sometime in October or early November as a lot of restaurants will post their Thanksgiving offerings.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dream Trip

Thanks I will have a look closer to the time appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dream Trip

Friend of a Farmer does a traditional Thanksgiving meal , that I have heard is very nice and is close your budget, you probably will need to phone to find out when they will start to take bookings

http://friendofafarmerny.com/specialty.html

Edited: 3:40 am, January 26, 2013
Cape Town Central...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dream Trip

Hi. I am a single lady traveling on my own .... Staying at NYMA west 32nd street. Can anyone recommend a cool place close by where I can go in the evenings for a drink and/or something to eat

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dream Trip

The tree is lit the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. I would not shop at all on Black Friday unless you love pushing and shoving crowds.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dream Trip

@ bubbles - post a new thread of your own - your question is not related to this one, and that way you might get more answers. to post, click on 'ask a question' on the forum's front page.

pam

new york
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dream Trip

I would also avoid shopping Black Friday, unless there is something you know will be on an amazing deal and don't mind waiting in line for hours to get in. This year a lot of stores opened Thursday night - every year they start earlier. I can't imagine how crazy busy the stores must be in Manhattan.

Your plan for Thanksgiving Day sounds good to me.

The stores will have their windows decorated.

Have fun

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dream Trip

The restaurant inside your hotel (Gordon Ramsey but the man is no longer affiliated) has a good reputation but is likely to be over your budget. I should warn that with a drink or two, tax and tip, your budget is low for a nicer 3 course meal (which is what most restaurants serve on that day). I find with a drink, tax and tip, the food bill is usually doubled. So for $80, you're talking about $40 of food or $20 each, too low for a holiday meal.

In previous years, the Park Room at the Helmsley Park Lane hotel has been popular for holiday meals. They have a buffet, not common in NYC.

Most people prefer Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center to ESB. If you do want to go to ESB, make sure to buy tickets online in advance to avoid a ticket buying line. Make doubly sure to avoid touts on the street offering fast passes. They're a scam.

Ice skating, a movie, walking the Xmas windows are typical T'gving day activities. The Bronx zoo and the Central Park zoo are also open. Last year Lord & Taylor dept. store was open but that may have been because of the business they lost during the storm that preceded it.

You'll have a great trip. It's a magical time in NYC. The tree at Rock Ctr. is usually lit the Tues or Wed. after T'giving. Don't even THINK of going to the actual lighting ceremony. It's mobbed and you will see nothing. Watch it on tv and then take a stroll later in the evening after 10 pm to see it live.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dream Trip

Thanks for the advice I am happy to up the budget for holiday meal to ensure we have something nice I wasn't really sure what the cost would be so that's a great help, I will look at booking ESB tickets on line didnt know you could do this. Thought we would do ESB as we have done the TOTR on a previous trip some years ago. We might not see the tree lit then but good to know the windows will be decorated. As we like to browse the shops at leisure and I don't think we will have a specific purchase in mind think we might avoid Black Friday. Finally would you suggest eating thanks giving dinner in the early afternoon or evening I am not sure what is traditional? Thanks so much for your time.

greater manchester
Level Contributor
21 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dream Trip

Hi Eliza

We are travelling from Manchester the same day as you for thanksgiving weekend (may even be on the same flight?) for a double 50th and 80th celebration, cannot wait :-)

Just so you know, the tentative date for lighting the Christmas tree is 27 November so you should be able to see it in all its glory after all

Happy planning

Karen