We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

average temperatures in august

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
average temperatures in august

Hi just wanting a bit of advice, my mum and I are travelling to NYC on 23rd August - 29th August and just wondering what the temperatures are like and what the humidity is like? We have both been to NYC but I went in October and my mum went in April so neither of us have experienced it in August. Any information/advice that you could give us would be greatly appreciated! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: average temperatures in august

Generally both hot and humid. It can get quite disgusting in August. www.wunderground.com is a good site for historical weather info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: average temperatures in august

July and August can often be truly unbearable - but, there are also days where it is less oppressive than many very hot/humid days.

Just plan on doing indoor sites on those days - subway platforms can get really uncomfortable from the heat but the subways themselves, as well as the buses are comfortably air conditioned.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: average temperatures in august

Personally, I find July and August quite pleasant.

I can't stand January and February.

This post comes to you from a tropical destination where I'm enjoying the mid-January bank holiday weekend (Martin Luther King, Jr.) in the sun. I try to avoid travel in July and August as that is my kind of weather in NYC. High temps well below freezing over the next week (when I will already be back) is not my idea of fun.

Personally I think it is nice having warm weather. Dress in light clothing and enjoy.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: average temperatures in august

I managed well in orlando in july/august last year so im hoping that I will be ok this year in NYC,, the only thing I was worried about is the fact that NYC is obviously more built up than orlando so didnt know whether that would make things like humidity a lot worse and I would feel it more than in orlando?! I cant wait !

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: average temperatures in august

Orlando is far hotter and far more humid than NYC ever gets.

Orlando can feel like a sauna in the summer - New York is regulated by the Ocean. Remember, we're along the ocean so we never get as hot as inland.

You have to put things into perspective. If you ask anybody, anywhere in the world, about their extreme weather, they're going to tell you its bad. Ask a New Yorker (like me) about winter and I'll say its really really cold. Well, as much as I don't want to admit this, we have no idea what cold is compared to Chicago or Minneapolis. Ask people in Chicago and Minneapolis about winter and they'll tell you how bad it is but truth is, they have no idea what Alaska and Siberia are like.

Ask people in New York about summer heat and they'll say its bad but they're not comparing it to Orlando where its worse. Ask people in Orlando and they'll tell you its bad but they've never been to Phoenix or Las Vegas in July / August where its 115 degrees (and I don't buy the argument that 115 degrees without humidity in Las Vegas is easier to take than 95 in Orlando with extreme humidity). You wear a tee shirt and shorts and you're more comfortable in less heat even if there is humidity. The humidity is bad when you're wearing a suit or dress clothing and you're sweaty - not an issue in casual attire. That's my belief.

Now, I'm going back in the pool. Its kinda hot here - I'm not sure if it is heat, humidity or what but this is my one tropical treat of the year and I'm going to make the most of it. : )

Edited: 2:26 pm, January 20, 2013
Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: average temperatures in august

brilliant thanks for your reply! I really appreciate the advice, I'm sure I'll be fine! I'm well stocked up on coppertone from orlando so I'm sure that I will be ok and not sunburnt! :D

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: average temperatures in august

My mother emigrated from Ireland in late July 1959. A going away gift was a faux fur coat. When she landed at JFK, she was wearing '"the" coat... And, back then you disembarked the plane on the Tarmac. When she got to the steps, she turned to her travel companion and said, "I think I've arrived in H..L!

I will never forget that story...RIP....

new york
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: average temperatures in august

It might be hot or it might be lovely. If it is hot, plan to be out to tour early and take a nice long lunch in the middle of the day or sit in the shade in Central Park. You can also go to a museum. What I love about summer in the city is that it is not packed with cars and people. It will be great, don't worry. Get a nice ice cream if you are hot.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: average temperatures in august

MoreFFMiles ... I don't know about the 'dry heat' thing .. I personally HATE humidity ... but I have friends who live year round in Arizona and when they had a Cape Cod rental one July on Cape Cod they were miserable during a humid spell and the temps never went over 92 ... they went to Martha's Vineyard for a day and actually walked through a grocery store just to 'cool down' in the a/c.

They are good sports and laugh about it ... but they keep saying "how do you stand the humidity".

Galway
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: average temperatures in august

Certainly from what I hear it is generally hot and humid in August.

That said on the one occasion I was in NYC in August (2006) it absolutely lashed rain for the entire 4 days we were there so you never know.