We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Social, fun, contemporary, bright, funky place to stay - NYC

2 posts
Save Topic
Social, fun, contemporary, bright, funky place to stay - NYC

Hello there,

I'm from Australia, 28 years old and am going on my dream holiday in May 2013... NYC for 14 nights!!

Where would you suggest I stay?

I'm after my own bathroom, a small fridge, somewhere funky and bright and contemporary with a late 20's/early 30's crowd. Don't mind small.

I'm looking for somewhere where I'll be able to easily meet people to hang out with, have a drink with, party with, etc

Any advice is appreciated.

Budget - max 300 per night

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Social, fun, contemporary, bright, funky place to stay - NYC

Willliamsburg (a small Brooklyn nieghborhood with easy access to Manhattan) is currently the place for artist & Musicians to meet & Hang out.

It is an post- industrial area that became popular with artist & musicians because it is so close to Manhattan (5 mins to Union Square from the Bedford Ave "L" [subway stop & "subway line"]) Now it has taken off and even celebs want to be "in" there. For example Ellie Goulding played in Williamsburg last night for 35usd a ticket. There are several happening shows & restaurants to chose from everynight in that nieghborhood.

Here is a good night life calendar to look at closer to your dates-

www.ohmyrockness.com

There are three hotels in Williamsburg to consider-

King & Grove (formerly Hotel Williamsburg)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d2151848…

Wythe Hotel-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d2556148…

or Le Jolie (a longer standing Williamsburg hotel but a bit further from the Bedford Ave subway stop)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d1007626…

If you want to be in Manhattan your first time then I would look at the Ace, because they have shows in the lobby (more of a 30 something crowd)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1201072…

Also a real budget option close to the Ace (in Manhattan) is the Gershwin. The Gershwin occasionally has funky events and a cool cafe in the lobby. The rooms are small and basic so it is a good inexpesive option-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d99389-R…

Here is a good e-z must see list with a link for a more general list of night life calendars-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

"Meet-up" groups are also popular in NYC (a lot of people meeting up is a safer bet for people to meet)- this is a good list for someone your age-

http://williamsburg-brooklyn.meetup.com/

Happy Planning & (most impotantly) Have good time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50khpqR8tA

Edited: 8:48 pm, January 22, 2013
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Social, fun, contemporary, bright, funky place to stay - NYC

Whoops- I see that the word "williamsburg" automatically made an active link for the city in Virginia. The other links are fine -just don't follow the link for the WORD "williamsburg". Also, make sure with any other planning you do it is for williamsburg Brooklyn (the Brookyn nieghborhood not the city in Virginia).

Cheers!

Edited: 8:57 pm, January 22, 2013
3. Re: Social, fun, contemporary, bright, funky place to stay - NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 24, 2014