We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation in NYC

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation in NYC

Hi,

I will be traveling to New York City on the 27th of October to the 2nd of November 2013. I'm just after a bit of advice based on accommodation. There will be 3 adults in total, and are more than happy to share a king bed if needed or one to stay on a sofa. Our budget it currently at $250.00 a night (is this unrealistic?) and would like a hotel close to times square and tourist destinations near by it. I would like to stay in a "safe" part of it however. We do not require any parking. But would appreciate a place which stores luggage before check in times. Does anyone have any suggestions of hotels which fit this description or are my expectations unrealistic and is their any other advice I would need?

Please and thank you

Jamana

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Every hotel will store luggage, and basically all of Manhattan is very safe. You don't need to stay near Times Square. That said, Halloween is a very expensive time to visit NYC, and I think your budget is low for a room for 3 people in Manhattan. I'm not a hotel expert, but while you wait for them to wake up, would you consider staying a short subway ride outside of Manhattan to save money? Or would you rather increase your budget?

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I would be able to alter my dates say a week earlier or later than checking in on the 27th, do you think that would make much of a difference in price of accomodation? We already plan on purchasing 7 day Metro cards so we're fine with staying outside Manhattan just not too much of a timely distance away. I don't plan on spending anything other than say 9pm to 9am in the hotel room but would like one decent enough to not turn us off the rest of our trip in the states.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Do you know what airport you'll be arriving and departing from?

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Not as of yet. However it's looking at being JKF International Airport, however I am trying to get in via LaGuardia Airport just because it's closer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation in NYC

the Wolcott hotel has a triple room for $286 before taxes , close to subway and a short walk to Times Square

http://www.wolcott.com/

or possible staying in Long Island city , just a short subway ride to get to everything in Manhattan

Edited: 7:31 am, January 19, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Thank you for the suggestion.

However upon investigating and reading up on a few reviews on here based on the Wolcott and other places I have narrowed it down to staying in the Candlewood Suites on 339 W 39th Street and The Grand Hyatt at 109 East 42nd Street at Grand Central Terminal.

Is there any added advice anyone has on either of these places and more importantly locations which they are situated within. Safe to walk at night coming home from Times Square, are there decent places to eat close enough to them?

Thank you

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Read the reviews for each hotel and decide for yourself

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93450-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1025779…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,327 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation in NYC

I'm confused. Are you coming to NYC directly from Australia. LGA is NOT an international airport. You will not be able to come there directly from overseas.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Thanks for the links, I have already read a few from each rating of each hotel and just wondered for any other information.

I can catch a flight from Sydney to New York directly which takes me to JFK, however I have the option to take a flight from Sydney with a stop over in Dallas which then goes to LGA airport.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation in NYC

Grand Hyatt is a good choice. There is food options in the Grand Central food court and restaurants next door. Also plenty places to eat around and its a Short walk to Times Square.