We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

SE England
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

2 adults 2 kids (8/6) - arrive 10pm on Friday from UK inot EWR. Flying down to Orlando Sunday 6.30am from EWR

Right we have a full day to see NYC so after some must sees ina realistic full on day in NYC

Also really after some hotel suggestions as currently thinking due to time of arrival and mainly time of onward flights about staying at EWR hotel (maybe Marriot as closest). Can easily get NJT into NYC on teh Saturday

Thoughts please kind people!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

With so little time, I'd either do an overview tour like

http://newyorktours.onboardtours.com/

or pick an area of town to explore on foot.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

I understand why you woudl think about getting a Newark hotel, but keep in mind that it will take you an hour to get into the city, and hour to get back, and it will cost $50 each way on the train. ($12.50 per person.) You might consider looking for a hotel near a PATH train line in New Jersey, say in Jersey City, which would be comparatively close to the airport but closer and cheaper to New York.

SE England
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

Thanks like the look of the tour link - good way to see a chunk of the sights

Bolton, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

Weve booked on the 'see ny in 1 day tour' it looks really good and has great reviews if youre not there very long it's ideal!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

I would stay at a hotel in Manhattan near Penn station at least on Friday night so youre in Manhattan when you wake up on Saturday. Getting from JFK to a Newark airport hotel so late will either be expensive or long and tiring or both. Affinia Manhattan is a good family option literally across the street from the train station in Manhattan. If you want to stay at Newark on Sat. night, that's your choice.

Ontimenewyork.com

Is a private service that will design a plan with your needs in mind.

SE England
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

We fly into and out of Newark per my original post but thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

Sorry, I misread that. I guess I could make an argument for all 3 options, at Newark, in Jersey City near a PATH train or in Manhattan. I think it really depends on price differences and your personal travel style. You'll likely wake up early on Sat. morning and there's plenty you could do in Manhattan like Central Park, Top of the Rock etc.

SE England
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

Thanks all. Still leaning towards a Newark airport area one with shuttle due to early start Sunday for 6.30am domestic flight. MArriot at EWR seems to fit that bill as apparently some have said they walked to term B from hotel. Certainly don't want to change hotels Fri and Sat nights

Will check out New Jersey though as that may be compromise

Getting into NY on NJT presumably we only pay for adults as kids are 8 and 6 as mentioned so presumably $12.50 each adult each way from Newark?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

It looks like children's fares are $8.25, not free. Only children under 4 ride free.

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet.srv…

SE England
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30 hours in NY - where to stay what to do?!

Ok thanks plenty to consider then