We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

Fitchburg...
3 posts
Save Topic
8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

There are 8 of us girls all looking to go out have a great time at some bars, comedy, etc. Looking for 4 people to a room. We will be driving to New York. Any suggestions on hotels, bars, etc? We are definitely a bunch of drinkers ranging from 40yrs - 55yrs old.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

What's your nightly budget and your exact dates? Are 2 queen beds ok or did you want 4 separate? (difficult)

Fitchburg...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

We will def do 2 queen beds. Would like as cheap as possible, but don't want a dump :) We would like to go to the wax museum, a spa, and also nightlife. We don't necessarily need the "club" scene, but a casual place with live music or dj. Thanks!!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

I'm planning a trip in May.... maybe I should switch to March???? LOL

Y'all have fun!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

For "as cheap as possible" but not a dump, staying in Long Island City (Queens) and taking a short subway trip into Manhattan is the best option.

Without knowing your budget or travel dates (prices fluctuate wildly), forum members are not likely to take the time to type out a list of recommendations in the hopes that they might fall within your budget.

Also note that Manhattan hotels do not usually provide free parking. LIC hotels can provide limited parking, or parking that is less expensive than Manhattan.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

Hotel at Times Square has rooms with 2 queens, includes breakfast and is typically less expensive. Or stay further dowtown for more interesting nightlife

The Mulberry hotel

Best Western Bowery Hanbee

Hampton Inn Chelsea

All have double queens.

ny, ny
Level Contributor
91 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

Prohibition on the Upper West Side (84th and Columbus I think) is a good spot. They have live music every night. It's a local scene and not too young. Although there are countless places like it all around, this is one that I know and have been to many times over the years.

Suck it up and stay in Manhattan. Long Island City is def cheaper but you'll have much better time not having to take that extra cab or subway ride.

Shorewood, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

If you want a larger than NYC average nice room with two queen comfy beds, use Priceline and select Lower Manhattan/Wall street. I got a very affordable weekend rate in the Millennium Hilton, a business hotel across the street from Ground Zero and within two blocks of subways. Definitely affordable, and certainly not a dump, with no bed bug worries. It was quiet at night, but you can get to nightlife in Soho and elsewhere via cab in 15 minutes. In addition, there are all kinds of very affordable places to eat nearby. Try the Stage Door deli one block away.

Save $$ on transportation to and form airport by getting a tourist coupon book and using one to book a car. With 4 per car, it will be cheaper and more convenient than the shuttle.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

Terrible Advice from cnmbfa.

Priceline will only guarantee a room with 1 double bed. Totally unsuitable if you want 2 queen beds for 4 people, because there are no guarantees that the Millennium Hilton is available, nor what room you'll get.

M

Fitchburg...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

Thank you everyone!!! Looking to spend about $300 tops per night. Now we are going for 2 nights. Decided on taking the train from Connecticut into Grand Central. We really just want some nightlife and the wax museum. Shopping we can do anywhere.

Edited: 7:56 pm, January 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Woman getaway in March - where to stay?

If you want to each put in just a little more for 4 rooms with King size beds-

travelzoo has an excellent deal where you can get a 5* (yes 5 star) two room suite with a King size bed for $199 per room (the first & only time I have seen a 5* SUITE in Manhattan for that much).

Alternatively they also offer 4 people to a room for $289 but that is two double beds (not queens).

travelzoo.com/hotels/…

So far that is the only deal that I see that applies to your dates, but look at the site later if you don't book now-

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/

Also these night life calendars may help with evening activities-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

Some lunch ideas-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

I would also add lunch/ brunch at Central Park Boat House

What ever you decide remember to have fun!