We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast or not....

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast or not....

Not going to bore you all with asking about hotel choices again but now wondering if Breakfast included is better than Room only?

Have had mixed advice from my friends who have been to NYC so was just wondering what the general consenus was?

Personally I'm not a great eater first thing in the morning prefering the caffeine route to fill me up! However my DH loves his brekkie first thing! Always thought we'd prefer to have a coffee (or 4) whilst getting ready for the day, and then stopping by a wee cafe for a bagel or whatnot before pounding the streets. But now wondering if it would save time/be more economical if we ate in the hotel?

Thoughts? x

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast or not....

It depends on the hotel. Some hotels have nice breakfasts. Some hotels have Continental.

It depends if you're staying in an area where there is a nice diner nearby.

Kind of difficult to answer without some more specifics.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast or not....

For me, if I choose a hotel and it has breakfast then great (I stayed at the Hotel Giraffe in 2010 and they had a nice breakfast) but if the hotel I want to stay at doesn't include it I don't care.

There are tons of places where you can get everything from a quick take away breakfast of coffee and a bagel to a full sit down breakfast all over the city. I wouldn't make breakfast a set criteria when choosing a hotel and I wouldn't pay more for it if there was a cheaper 'room only' option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast or not....

To me, breakfast can be a great part of a vacation experience. In Paris, going to the local boulangerie. In New York, the local diner or food cart for a bagel. Of course, you can do that even when breakfast is included at the hotel, but then you feel like you're wasting money!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast or not....

Whether a hotel includes breakfast would probably be the last thing I would consider in making a hotel choice. I've never had an included hotel breakfast that was worth caring about. At best, it's convenient. But in New York or another big city, you can surely find a fast, easy, cheap breakfast that would probably be better than what a hotel would offer.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,490 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast or not....

When choosing a hotel on the side of the interstate, it can be important if there's nothing else around. When choosing a hotel in Manhattan or other city ... I'd rather get OUT and see the area and eat outside the hotel. I'm with kateoz, if it comes with the hotel room then I feel I'm wasting money if I don't eat there.

When travelling with family members who aren't fond of moving in the morning, I've gone out alone in the morning to local places and brought back bagels and cream cheese or egg sandwiches to eat before we hit the road. To me this little walk and small purchase is part of 'experiencing' the city.

Edited: 8:41 am, January 03, 2013
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,498 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast or not....

What Kate and FMP said, except skip the diners as well.

I can almost guarantee your corner cafe will have better breakfast and better coffee than your hotel. You will always spend more on the hotel breakfast.

Even if you dont have much next to where you staying, I'm sure you will have something good in the neighborhood you visit that morning. Google map can be very handy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast or not....

What does hubby expect for breakfast, though? Few hotels offer the equivalent of an English fry up. If that's what he wants, you'll probably need to go to a larger corporate hotel that does buffet breakfasts.

I've only ever stayed at 2 hotels where breakfast was offered in the room rate. One was actually good, the other was woeful. There are too many good and cheap places to buy breakfast outside a hotel to make this a deciding factor.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast or not....

"Not going to bore you all with asking about hotel choices again "

Why not? It will help us help you if you tell us what places are on your shortlist. If you're now looking at staying In Long Island City and want to be able to eat near the hotel, I think there are enough hotels there that include breakrfast in the room rate that it makes sense to pick one of those. If you decide you want to eat elsewhere, you still can. Breakfast is not expensive here and the options are endless in Manhattan. Not quite as plentiful in Long island City. So you really do need to tell us what hotels you're considering.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast or not....

Also note that hotels are not charitable institutions that feed the hungry for free. They are instead profit-driven businesses -- and so there is really no such thing as a free breakfast. You are instead being charged for it in the price of your room, which would be cheaper if there were no "free breakfast" attached. As was said above, whether or not a hotel offeres breakfast is not a consideration -- unless you really want to save money, in which case you should look for a hotel that does NOT offer breakfast.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,971 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast or not....

As the OP indicated in the first post, a lot of this has to do with your getting up style. I personally prefer to have breakfast right after I get up, and then go back to the room to get ready for the day. Given my own preferences it's much more convenient to have breakfast at the hotel and the "free breakfast" makes this simpler.

Others have different preferences and I'd be guided by how you want to sort this out. If you have a "free breakfast" included you may find yourself more reluctant to go out, which means you might be missing out on an experience that you want.