We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing New York City solo

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Doing New York City solo

Hi again...

I'll be travelling to New York City alone for a vacation and while this is not my first visit to NYC, it'll be the first time I'll be doing it alone.

Any recommendations for a single female?

I'm Asian by the way.

Thanks again,

Cindy ^_^

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Doing New York City solo

HI,

I think NY is great for lone female travellers;if you love sightseeing,culture,shopping and eating,as well as people-watching and soaking up the atmosphere, you can't really fail to be impressed.It didn't feel dangerous,even at night ( but obviously,do your research and avoid certain areas).

When I was in the city last on my own(2001),I stayed at the Larchmont on W 11th St.Not high end luxury,but very reasonable price wise,friendly staff,and a superb Greenwich village location.Also,it was much more like a residential block in a tree lined street,so not so "anonymous" ,unlike larger, Midtown tourist hotels.Hope it has maintained this feel in the intervening years!

The other tips I have for similar travellers are to do loads of guidebook research,wear good shoes, and carry a newspaper/book/postcards to write, so you can dine out alone and not feel lonely(and avoid unwanted attention)!You can relax and enjoy being in a great city.

hope you have a great trip!