We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Is this do-able?

Husband and I planning a week long trip for coming September. Nothing booked yet.

For months, the cheapest flights have been into JFK, and we've been looking at hotels in LIC. However, flights have now become available for $677 return whereas they were around $757 before. I want to snap them up. Only problem - they're into Newark.

I can see from the map this wouldn't be the best plan, but is it doable? A train or bus into Manhattan with our luggage and then the subway to LIC?

(I should mention, as it will probably be suggested - I don't think staying in Manhattan is an option for us. We cannot change our dates to a cheaper time such as August, and there are certain things we want such as a private bathroom. Budget is $175 a night absolute max inc taxes.)

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Do-able, absolutely.

Optimal, not really. But do-able.

Are they good flights? Is it BA or United into Newark? Are you driving to Heathrow or flying from Plymouth via Heathrow

Newark is fine - it isn't as convenient as JFK. You have to factor in the slight additional cost but it isn't a big deal. AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit is $12.50 per person (each way). Factor that into the equation. The JFK AirTrain would be $5.00 per person so just factor the difference into the equation. I hate when people say "I saved x by flying into Hartford" and then they start factoring in the cost of car hire, petrol, etc. Next thing you know they lost money on their "cheap" flight deal.

AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit will get you from your terminal into Manhattan in under an hour for $12.50. You'll then either get the E train or walk one block to Herald Square for the N / Q trains to Long Island City. These being the subway. You'll start your 7 day unlimited ride MetroCard and you'll be on your way.

It'll cost you the additional roughly $7.50 per person each way for Newark vs. JFK ($12.50 minus $5.00 equal $7.50 - that is how I came up with the number) and maybe an additional 30 - 40 minutes but no big deal.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
New York
Hartford
Hartford
New York
Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

They're direct flights from Heathrow, with United. We'll be driving up to Heathrow from Plymouth (our airport has closed sadly!) If we flew into JFK it would also be a direct flight from Heathrow, but with Delta. Times are approximately the same too. So other than the airline, no difference our end.

Okay, so sounds like it would cost us $30 more in terms of getting to & from the hotel, but we'd save $160 in flights. So $130 saving overall. I don't think we mind the additional 30 minutes - our journey will be long enough anyway, doesn't make a lot of difference!

Thanks for the info.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
New York
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

United's Heathrow - Newark service is a bit nicer than Delta's Heathrow - JFK service. I've flown both. Premium (Business) cabin they're on par but main cabin (economy) United is better.

United acquired Continental. Continental did Heathrow Newark and Heathrow Houston. Legacy-United did Heathrow Washington, Heathrow Chicago and Heathrow San Francisco. Continental was always excellent and legacy-United was always mediocre at best. United continues to operate them separately with Newark and Houston at Terminal 4 and with Washington, Chicago, San Francisco at Terminal 3. I've been on United's legacy-Continental as recently as this month and I'm very pleased to report that all the amenities and luxuries of Continental remain in place.

Excellent audio video on demand on the legacy Continental aircraft flying Heathrow Newark and a great airport / terminal experience at Newark Airport.

United does not do free beer or wine for main cabin (economy). Only Delta does and I think it is only one with your main meal.

Personally, I think it is worth the few extra dollars / pounds to fly United (legacy Continental). If it is cheaper, then definitely go with it.

Another advantage to United over British is that United allows you to select your seat assignment at time of reservation and there aren't any of those silly charges / fees that British Airways is known for.

You can earn your United frequent flyer miles with United or Lufthansa.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

I too think this is easily do-able. More FFmiles has given you detailed directions. Do make sure that you choose a Long Island City hotel that is near a subway station. Not all of them are. GWB has often posted lists of which LIC hotels do and don't meet this criterion.

Once you've chosen your hotel people on this forum can tell you the optimal subway route from Penn Station to the hotel.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Thanks guys.

AudenHoggart - I think it was GWB who posted a list on a previous thread of mine! We were looking at the Z Hotel but have taken on board the advice about location, so the hotel we're now planning on booking is the Country Inn and Suites. I believe this is very close to the Queensboro Plaza subway?

We just need to sort out some travel insurance and then we'll be booking!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Yes, Queensboro Plaza is your closest station for Country Inn and Suites. If you're coming from Penn Station on the subway, which you will be, you have a couple of choices.

I'd take any uptown subway train on the 7th Avenue side of Penn Station (1,2, or 3) one stop to Times Square. Change there for the 7 to Queensboro Plaza. The 7 starts at Times Square so you can't go the wrong way!

As an alternative, with a bit further walk but without a subway train change, you could take the uptown E on the 8th Avenue side of Penn Station and get out at Queens Plaza. Queens Plaza is an underground station that is near, but not right at, the Queensboro Plaza elevated station. The two stations are not connected. Look at Google maps for Country Inn and Suites and you'll see where they are.

If this were my first arrival I think I'd take the 7. You'll actually get a good view of the Manhattan skyline when the train comes out of the tunnel in Queens. Queensboro Plaza is elevated so you can see the area and this can help in getting oriented on your arrival.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Actually, Auden, there is now a nice change from the E train to the #7 at Court Square (what used to be "23rd Ely" on the E and "45th Road Courthouse Square" on the 7) An elevator takes you up to the #7 platform from the underground complex, and you can get a view of the skyline from the platform.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

Yes, that's another good alternative.

The the OP: What you'll find is that there are often myriad ways of getting from one place to another on the subway. From where you're staying you'll often have a lot of options

Not to further confuse things, BUT, if you wanted to get to Queensboro Plaza from Penn Station without changing trains, you could leave the station on the 7th Avenue side, walk the one long block to 6th Avenue, and get the uptown N or Q to Queensboro Plaza.

Lots of options! Make sure to get a good map. While there are many smartphone/computer routing apps, they often just choose one option. Particularly once you're in NYC and not toting luggage it's easier to just walk a block or two and get a "better" subway route.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

I'd probably head for the 34th Street / 7th Avenue exit with the long escalators up to the street.

I'd walk east along 34th Street (with Macy's on my left) and I'd get the Queens bound N / Q trains at 34th Street / 6th Avenue (Herald Square) and head directly to Queensboro Plaza - that is what I would do.

You can get the E train inside Penn and change to the 7 at 23rd Street / Court Square (Queens) [not downtown to 23rd St. in Manhattan]. They've done a beautiful job with the transfer between the E and the 7 at 23rd / Court Square.

Yes, you can also take the uptown 1, 2 or 3 one stop to Times Square and get the 7 there but that is not what I would do.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Newark, staying in LIC?

You can take the Express Bus from Newark to Port Authority bus terminal and take the #7 train from there. The bus from Newark is more dependable than the one from JFK or LGA.