We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Our second trip to NYC during the holidays. Came with another couple and it was their first time at Christmas. We stayed at the Beacon Hotel, UWS, we love this place. Its so easy, near the subway, the BEST grocery store, and is just a fun neighborhood. We had a one bdm suit, tons of room, small bath. Our friends had a studio, also nice, bigger bathroom. We think this is one of the best bargains in NYC. Plus we drive to the city and the lot across the street was only $40/night, there was a lot 3 more blocks for $26. After we arrived on Fri we hopped over to Fairvew grocery for essentials, beer, coffee creamer, etc. Stopped at the most excellent liquor store next door and then a block away to papaya hotdogs, yum! Made our 4:00 Radio City Music Hall Rockettes show and it was fabulous. Second time for us but first for our friends. Then over to Rockefeller Center for a sighting of the tree, a total madhouse in that area, but a block or so out it was back to normal easy crowds. Walked up 5th Ave ogling the dept store windows and to our dinner reservation at Quality Meats on 58th. We wanted to do a nice steak place (and had nixed Peter Luger because every time I called it was too painful) and this was an awesome choice. Our steaks - bone in filets and double porterhouse, were perfect. Sides and desert great, (the sticky toffee cake was really good.). Great service, fun atmosphere made for a special night. Then down to the empire state building around 10 pm. No line at all and whizzed right to top. (we did TOTR last time which we think is a better choice if you have to choose one or the other.) Day 2 started at Viands Cafe next to the Beacon, really good breakfast place, ate there all 3 mornings. Then on to Grand Central Station and the little train show and Christmas market. Nice stuff, not tacky souvenirs. The train station itself is just cool to walk around. Walked thru the public library, one of my favorite places, so beautiful. Also spent some time at Bryant Park for cider, shopping and watching the ice skaters. Even took a ride on the carousel. Stopped in Macy's, oh my, I could spend days in there, but the two men could only handle the crowds for a short time. Rode on the old wooden original escalators and a glance at Santa Land. What a store! Then subway to NoLita area to Cafe Habana for lunch. The roasted corn with spicy Parmesan was fabulous!! Really fun people, but small. We didn't mind waiting on the bench outside watching the smartly dressed people rushing about. Then over to the 9/11 memorial, we had 4:30 passes. Nice time to go because the names are lit up. Very moving experience. We hushed a few kids that were running around screaming, we just couldn't help ourselves. They just looked at us with big eyes, but I think they understood. I have no idea where their parents were. Later that night we enjoyed a show at the comedy cellar in Greenwich Village. We laughed so hard our throats hurt. It was REALLY good. Then down the street to a wonderful red sauce Italian dinner at Monte's Trattorria. We were so full we could hardly make it back to the hotel. Our final day was spent at the American Museum of Natural History. IMAX and planetarium shows were good, but not fantastic. The museum was also good. We must be spoiled with our museums here in DC...but had a good time and glad we went. Not that crowded which was nice (the DC museum is always insanely crowded.) Then stopped for a burger at shake shake, our friends say as good as five guys. I think so too. Strolled thru a cool flea market on the way back to hotel. I really wanted to get to Brooklyn flea, but will have to wait for next visit, along with Eataly which was also on the list, but not enough time. Our last night we went to a show at the Iridium Jazz Club to see Norm Hathaway's Christmas big band. It was just fantastic, we had a blast. Back to have a bite near our hotel at Big Nicks. We always seem to end up there when we visit. Good pizza, and such a quirky place. We love it for a cheap eat! Left this morning with an easy drive over the Williamsburg bridge and straight down 95 home to DC. Hardly no traffic. When we were leaving, a ladys dog had to go poo right in the middle of a major street intersection, she was patient and ready with the plastic baggie, while cars were waiting to get thru, but no one beeped. It was so funny and topped off our trip to NY, our favorite city! Everyone was so nice and the city was so clean and safe. And lots if wonderful dogs in the upper west side. Thank you New York for another magical trip!

Edited: 11:14 pm, December 24, 2012
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,321 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Sounds like you all had a great trip ^_^

I love it how you list your essentials from Fairview ....and isn't the crowd near the Rockefeller's tree total madness? but what an atmosphere!

thanks for sharing and have a warm Xmas

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,028 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Lovely trip report! Thanks for sharing and a merry xmas. Next time though, some paragraphs would make it easier to read. ;)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,370 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Great review, but you couldn't have left for DC by going over the Williamsburg Bridge. That takes you into Brooklyn, which is the wrong way.

Did you leave over the George Washington Bridge?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Sounds like a great time was had by all ReinerSue:-) Happy to hear you all EnJOYed!

Level Contributor
38,814 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Sounds like a great time! Happy New Year! :)

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

Whoops, GW bridge. Paragraphs next time, promise!

Thanks!

Edited: 7:18 am, December 27, 2012
7. Re: Quick Trip Report Dec 21 - Dec 24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 29, 2013