We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit next May

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit next May

Hi

We're a couple in our 40s visiting NYC for the first time next May. WE want a really good hotel but not ridiculously expensive in a very safe area and very near to a subway for all the major attractions. We want good mid range restaurants within short walking distance and want to be safe at night. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Budget around £250 a night although could stretch a little more if spectacular.

Thanks

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit next May

You may want to look at Long Island city for your hotel. Lots of good posts on this forum for good reviews.

What are your food choices... List them and you will get the best advice on this forum.

Have a wonderful stay!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit next May

£250 = $400ish. You can easily stay in Manhattan for that. Hotel prices can change daily so if you post exact dates you'll get much more useful help from the experts/locals.

NYC is a very safe city so don't worry about that and as long as you're near a subway, you'll be able to get around quickly and easily (and cheaply!).

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
865 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit next May

Would you demand a very safe area in London John? Because i would. Its incredibly much more unsafe there. NYC is far safer than London. Everywhere.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit next May

Also remember that the NYC subway runs 24/7 and is safe anywhere you're going to want to go at any hour of the day or night.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit next May

John - we are coming to NY for the first time next May too. Outr budget is well under £250/$400 per night unfortunately but we have got cancellable reservations at two respectable and very well reviewed holels in the Upper West Side (one of them opposite a subway station) and the UWS sounds absolutely delightful. At your budget, you could afford to stay in the better hotels in that area. We have looked long and hard at all the NY neighbourhoods but have chosen Upper West Side because it appears to be away from the madness and crowds of Midtown but has easy access to Central Park and Riverside Park plus the museum area and the Lincoln Centre plus avenues of diners and restaurants. It sounds fabulous - I can't wait!

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit next May

I usually stay at The Bentley Hotel. Mi am single parent travelling with children so I fully understand your concerns. The hotel is at 62nd not right in the touristy areas but I'm in my 40's and walk easily to the metro. It's a few blocks from Central Park, museum mile and I have even walked it to Times Square. The buses are also easy to manage. There ar a lot of restaurants in the area as like most of NYC some open 24 hrs.

Alabama
Level Contributor
931 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit next May

I stayed last May on 8th Avenue and 48th Street at the Hilton Garden Inn. Good location and well below your budget. I think it was 265 and with all those taxes came to 305 or so. I highly recommend it to you!