We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Pass

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New York Pass

Here is some feedback for people who are planning to do some attractions in NY and are doubting about paying per entrance or buying a pass that offers entrance to multiple attractions like the Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Moma and so on.

We would definitely recommend the New York Pass.

It offers a variety of attractions to do and you can easily evaluate if you gain by buying the pass or paying per visit.

The price of all NY attractions is rather high, so you will make quickly (a lot of) profit.

Since it was our first visit to NY, we decided to do a lot of attractions per day to get an impression of them, instead of doing a few attractions in detail.

If you are planning to do only a few indepth-visits, then no pass is suitable to you, in all other cases the NY pass should be your first choice.

However, as New York is big, you should plan your visits beforehand, so you can do the things that are close to each other on the same day,

and not loosing your time in transfers between attractions that are miles from each other .

You get also fast access to a lot of attractions (like Top of the Rock), just make sure that you take the right queue when entering an attraction or museum.

People tend to choose a queue quickly (especially when it is crowded), instead of searching for the signs that say 'NY pass holders here'.

We were very satisfied of the New York Pass and will buy it again when we visit New York.

Unfortunately for us, we visited NY in the week during the Sandy storm, which forced a lot of attractions to close.

The 'New York Pass'-company however was extremely fair and correct in dealing with this situation : they refunded us the days that we were unable to use the pass due to the emergency situation. A lot of companies would not bother!

Top!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Pass

This is the kind of report that New York pass loves and in fact very suspect with one post. It is full of inaccuracies and too much praise. First hint "skipping the line at Top of the Rock' there rarely is a line there... my guess is that this is written by a New York pass employee

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Pass

I am not going to start a discussion here and will therefore reply only once. Probably you work for another pass-company? Don't worry : they are maybe as good as NY Pass, but I have no experience with the other passes. I have posted my personal findings and I am foresure not an employee of New York pass. I could have written this review in Dutch because I live in Belgium. Or in Dutch : "Ik kon dit in het nederlands geschreven hebben omdat ik in België woon."

We visited Top of the Rock the first day it reopened after Sandy and I can tell you that that were was a line. They were closed for 3 days (God knows why it took that long) and a lot of tourists came to check every day whether they reopened or not : so the first day was very crowded. And, although a security officer of the Rockefeller building forbid me to charge my cellular phone the day before (we stayed in lower Manhattan : the last 4 days without any power and all related discomfort), I must say that Top of the Rock is a top attraction. The Empire State building is also top (and we also skipped the lines over there). Their Skyride however is crap. Also Spy was crap. But Ripley's, Madame Tussaud's, Moma, Museum of National History,... were top. Also the circle line cruise we did the Sunday before Sandy arrived, was great despite the grey skies...

We have used our passes for 4 days for doing 12 attractions. Let's say that an average entrance costs around $30... Futhermore : NY pass refunded 3 days (from the 7 day pass) because everything was closed for 3 days.

For me, they earn a good review. Case closed.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Pass

Not only does God know why it took so long, anyone with common sense could figure it out as well: you need to have employees present to open the place, and the subway (remember the subway?) was shut down. Precisely how did you expect people who live in Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx to get to work at TOTR without a subway?

You noticed how the blackout in lower Manhattan inconvenienced you on your trip -- but apparently were unaware that people who live here were not exactly having a picnic either.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Pass

No, Not all attractions cost around $30. I don't think you made any money at all from it.

TOTR is $25, MOMA is $25, but there is a double ticket costing only $38. This Madame Tussauds is $28, Ripleys is $26 (online), so already, by using online discounts, I've saved money.

What you think would have cost $120 actually costs, $92. The Pass does nothing but force you to go to "attractions" like Ripleys, or Madame Tussauds (which really are not iconic at all), to make your moneys worth.

Maybe you want trash forcefed, but I much prefer to enjoy New York itself.

I also cannot believe how RUDE you are stating that TOTR was closed for 3 days. Maybe you should have volunteered to clean it, ensure it was safe, ensure that it was fully staffed, and opened it yourself.

As for your mobile phone, there were plenty of places that were offering to charge them, you just had to ask in the right places, TOTR isn't the right place, an AT&T store however (they sell mobile phones!) is.

M

Edited: 2:00 am, December 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Pass

The real value about the NY Pass, and all other passes that are sold, depends on the type of visitor that you are. If you are someone who wants to "see it all" in a short period of time, these passes can be OK. But, if you are someone who wants to linger or see some of the sights in depth, they are normally just a waste of money.

The other thing to realize is that much of what is on the pass may not be of interest to you - what Madame Tousauds has to do with NYC escapes me. And, much of what is great about NYC [The Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, Broadway, Central Park, Greenwich Village, etc, etc.] has absolutely nothing to do with any of these passes.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Pass

Wow, thanks for the information here. We are going to NYC in March and I have been debating getting the pass. We are there for 2 weeks and have no intention of seeing wax works or the like. As we have time I'm now thinking may be better to work out exactly what we want to see and then looking for online prices.

Again, thanks for the detailed responses in this thread.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Pass

I liked the new york pass a lot. I bought the 3 days pass and saved a lot of money. It is true that you get really tired because you have to cover as many atrractions as you can. I added up all the tickets i saved plus dicounts at several restaurants and the total was 400 usd vs 150 usd for the new york 3 day pass. I think its worth it if you plan ahead, start your day from 8 am and finish around 12-1 am

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Pass

hi there, are the new york attractions open on sundays? what are the hours the attractions are open till? i am travelling from south africa and thinking of buying the new york pass because one can never say what our exchange rate is going to be next year. we definitely want to do a lot in a short space of time, but sunday is one of the 4 days in new york. so just wondering if the hours are shorter on the weekend or closed on sundays?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Pass

As you see - some people like the passes and most of the regular Forum responders have their reservations.

The common issue is that the pass offers attractions that you may not want to visit and a time schedule that has you running around, rushing to get to them. Also, if they offer queue jumping it is usually just to get exchange vouchers, whatever for a ticket to the attraction - you still have to wait on line for entrance.

And museums, some are pay what you please - so the pass is really not getting you any discount.......

That's my take on the passes - gleaned from a couple of friends who got talked into them - do whatever you wish - I'd never buy any of them - doing it on your own is much more appealing to me.......

This thread is over a year old - newly posted, just a point of info......

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Pass

We purchased New York passes and will be using them next week. The reason we got them was more for convenience than savings. The things we are planning to do will probably see us break even or just come out slightly on top. The main thing for us was that we purchased them nearly a year ago, that means they were paid for long ago and the cost has been forgotten about. Now we know we have plenty to keep us occupied without having to even think about having to buy tickets which suits us just fine. I'm sure there not for everyone but I think they will be ideal for us.