We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the snow?

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where's the snow?

Today it's 19 degrees Celsius in Sydney and it reached 16 degrees in NYC. I'm coming in 4 weeks and I've purchased duck down jackets, thermals, beanies, gloves, etc. Where's the ice and snow I've been told to expect. lol

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the snow?

Global weirding, my friend, global weirding.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the snow?

The pigeons ate it all. Even the yellow stuff, because they're birds; they're dumb.

Actually, we didn't get snow on our trip last year either. We got RAIN, certainly, but being from Florida it's really nothing special and we actually just sat in Union Park eating a Belgian waffle while it drizzled. Made my newly purchased boots a bit useless.

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the snow?

Be careful what you wish for........

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the snow?

Too true Vacation!

Two years ago the weather reports all stated "a few flurries"! That's the year the City ground to a halt with a huge snow storm.

Come prepared is our best advice.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the snow?

In 4 weeks it could be A LOT colder! December is often a 'transitional' month, with some days quite chilly but others in the 60s, like today is supposed to be. January, though, can get bone-chillingly cold. And it could snow a ton like it did in 2011. Or we could have a mild winter overall like we did in 2012. It remains to be seen! :)

Oslo, Norway
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the snow?

Does it get windy too or is it just cold?

I have a recollection of some friends saying that it is really windy and cold during the winter but not sure if I'm mixing it up with another city.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's the snow?

Two years ago my block was on the cover of the NY Post as the poster child for failure to clear streets. That year, it snowed, snowed and snowed again. In contrast, last year we had an early snow in October, and then it was mild all winter.

The thing is - you never know.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's the snow?

Please, NOT while I am there. It can be a mess and slush is not pretty.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's the snow?

I was there for New Years this year, and it was 57 deg. F. LOL

edmonton, canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's the snow?

We are arriving on the 30th and this will be a "warm" vacation for us. We've had snow since Hallowwen and it was -30C this past weekend. It's funny, I watch the comments about the 35 degree "cold" on here, that's balmy for us. That said, we are obviously prepared for anything NYC can throw at us as we live it every day.