We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

real american in NYC

Cheltenham, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
real american in NYC

hello people!

were off to NY in feb as always wanted to go. i really want to experience true american food and life!

does anyone recommend any proper restaurants where we can experience massive american food? and also any good friendly bars where we will feel safe and welcome again with that american feel?

Thanks guys!

Dan.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: real american in NYC

Safe!? You're in a bar! I've never heard that question before. Do you expect to be stared at because you're not local?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: real american in NYC

Hey Dan:-) Don't know where you're staying.. but for what you're looking for, best IMO would be to head out to a local nabe;-) Whether it's the UWS or Brooklyn, you'll find loads of locals enjoying their drafs, wings, burgers, etc.. at their local bar.. easy enough to mingle and get a feel of the land;-) Same with restaurants.. many have bars as well.. take a look at www.menupages.com/ and check out the American fare joints! Happy planning.. and EnjOY!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: real american in NYC

What in the world is true American food? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, especially with the word "massive" added. (I am having visions of peanut butter and jelly -- what Brits call "jam" -- sandwiches on Wonder bread, but swollen to gargantuan proportions...)

I suspect that what you want is breakfast at a diner (with my favorite in Manahttan being the Skylight at 34th and Ninth), lunch in the form of a large sandwich from a takeout deli, and dinner at a steakhouse (or pehaps back at the diner.)

People who pay for their drinks, don't annoy the other customers, and who remember that it is the custom in this country to tip the bartender will be welcome by the management in any bar. Considering that New York is in America, I don't know how a bar in New York can help but to feel "American".

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: real american in NYC

NYC is a melting pot and you'll find many influences from different cultures... well... everywhere! Including in the choice of food and restaurants.

Some would argue the "american" food stereotype is burgers and fries. Others might say a huge breakfast with pancakes and waffles and sausage and eggs. Others would say it's a chain restaurant.

If you're looking for what the average family serves on their dinner table as "real" american, that can differ family to family, where they live, and on their ethnicity and background. I know in the south you can get lots of things you'll never see on a menu in the North. In california you'll find a distinct cuisine style that places can try to copy elsewhere but with the lack of fresh ingredients they just can't match. The fresh seafood on either coast will be better than the frozen in the middle of the country - usually.

Don't let stereotypes guide your doings and adventures though. If you want to experience a diner - go for it. If you want a steakhouse. Go for it. But don't count out some of the amazing ethnic restaurants in NYC just because they may not be someone's definition of "american".

For a local experience, stay away from the tourist sights. Have dinner one night on the quaint Cornellia street in the village. It's a very small street and has amazing local restaurants on it. You'll be eating with locals - not with tourists.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: real american in NYC

Maybe you mean diners which serve massive breakfasts?

http://www.yelp.com/c/nyc/diners

Or buffets?

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/791382

Or "American Foods":

http://friendofafarmerny.com

http://www.baramericain.com

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: real american in NYC

Speaking of melting pot, the JCC of Manhattan on about 75th and Amsterdam has an exhibit in their lobby about our melting pot of NYC. There is one picture of a child from each of the 160 countries of the world. Each child resides in New York City.

jccmanhattan.org/the-laurie-m-tisch-gallery

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: real american in NYC

I guess massive means large. Maybe someone's been watching Man vs Food? To the rest of us in the world America is thought of as serving huge portions which is kinda attractive given that over here in Europe we get tiny plates which many times I've went home and ate something else afterwards as I was still bloody hungry. So it's a valid question. I'm 6'1 and I want fed!!! :-)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: real american in NYC

I think the OP wants Cheesecake Factory.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: real american in NYC

Pizza is a very American food although many people think of it as Italian. Search this forum for "pizza" and you'll find tons of discussion.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: real american in NYC

Pizza is Italian ;-)

American Pizza is nothing like the pizza you get in Italy. If you've had pizza in Italy and are going to experience pizza in the USA for the first time, you'll be greatly disappointed after having had the real thing in Italy.