We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Arriving in NYC on Dec. 21st to LGA around 6pm and staying in a hotel a few blocks from Grand Central.

Is it a good idea to take the express bus direct from LGA to grand central? We can easily walk 4 short blocks to our hotel from the bus stop. Anyone had any experiences with it?

Also, is there just one express bus? I know there's an "official" one but wasn't sure if that was my only option.

thanks!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,436 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Where exactly is your hotel? It's possible that there's a better option with a local bus to the subway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Hmm. A quick Google search for LGA to Grand Central buses is giving me lots of shared ride companies and those are almost universally frowned upon here. I think the one that appears to be "official" is called NYC Airporter and seems to offer a legitimate direct ride to GC for a good rate. I've only taken the bus from EWR before but I suspect the one from LGA would be pretty short and quick ride.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Just take the M60 bus to 125 St, and Lexington Avenue, then take the 4 or 5 train to 42nd St-Grand Central Terminal.

OR take the Q33 bus to Roosevelt Avenue-Jackson Hts, and take the #7 train to 42nd St.-Grand Central Terminal.

Or take the M60 bus to Astoria Blvd in Queen (no bridge traffic, then take the N or Q train to Queensboro Plaza and on the same platform opposite track, take the #7 to Grand Central.

You could even take the M60 to 125 St, Lexington avenue and then a bus down Lexington to Grand Central; less hauling of luggage. $2.25.

Edited: 3:06 pm, December 06, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

The express buses (Airlink and another) that do this run are no longer dependable. For 2 or more people, it shouldnt be that much difference vs a taxi. Take a taxi and save yourself a potential headache. Actually, you might order a car service for afixed price should you hittraffic.

Dial7.com

Llstatelio.com

If you were traveling alone, I'd say chance the bus.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Gosh, I just noticed all my typos.

Allstatelimo.com

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

I haven't tried the M60 bus yet, but after reading that suggestion a time or two, I probably will on my next trip.

However, I recommend taking a taxi over the Shuttle buses. My experience with the Shuttle was HORRIBLE. Taxis were good, even though one of them gave me the "scenic route" to increase his fare I think. (I know better now!)

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

Thank you! I'm thinking about booking Dial7 in advance (saw there's a discount for booking online LGA-Manhattan plus a coupon)... Their website mentions it doesn't include tolls/additional fees - any idea what this could amount to?

Thanks!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

You can avoid the toll by asking the driver to please take the Grand Central to Crescent St. (using the Astoria Blvd. / 31st Street exit) and taking Crescent Street down to the Queensboro Bridge. This is how I prefer to go and it turns out it is usually faster too (particularly for Grand Central and just north of)

Alternatively, if you do take the tunnel, the toll is something like an additional $4.80 (with the driver using his E-Z Pass)

9. Re: Express bus from LGA to Grand Central?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 17, 2013