We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Amnh to Met Museum

Singapore
14 posts
Save Topic
From Amnh to Met Museum

Hi Guys,

I need your help on the shortest way to get from AMNH to MET. I am from Singapore and I will be in NY for Xmas (yeah!). I am plannign to do both the msueums in 1 day and from google maps, these 2 museums are the "closest" to one another.

Is it better to take the train from AMNH and alight at 86 St (4-5-6) or can I just cut across central park to walk over to MET (if this is indeed a shorter way how do i do that) is it like a long walk?

Appreciate any advice over here!

Thanks,

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

If it's a nice day you can just walk across the park. It's a little under a mile.

If you want to take the bus, go up to 81st Street (north end of the AMNH) and take the eastbound M79 bus through the park. Get off when you're through the park (at 5th Avenue & 79th Street) and walk up the few blocks to the Metropolitan Museum.

You may want to bring a map of Central Park with you. Here's one:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/

Singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

Thank you Very much. May I know how much does it cost to take a bus for 1 person? I am aussuming the subway tickets i am going to buy are strictly for trains only right and not buses included?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

No your MetroCard includes buses - same price - but I would walk across the Park.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

nyc
Level Contributor
446 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

Fastest and easiest is to take a cab.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

Another idea is to load the Central Park app onto your smartphone if you have one.... It is awesome.....Also enjoyed Museum A Gogo on our last visit.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

These are both very large museums. Doing them both in one day is, imo, a mistake. Your brain will be fried and you will be on sensory overload and remember very little of either (imo) not to mention how tired your feet and body will be. If you want to squeeze 2 museums together in one day, there are a bunch of smaller museums near the Met that would be a better fit imo. The Neue Galleries, the Frick Museum, the Guggenheim and the Whitney are all wonderful small museums within walking distance (on Fifth ave. or Madison) from the Met. Pick one of those and do that with the Met and save the Natural History for another day. Near the Natural History, the NY Historical Society is very close.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

Just a thought for your planning: I got to the Met this Wednesday at 10AM, and I left at 5PM. I only visited the temporary exhibitions printed on the tall white card, I didn't look at a single permanent collection. And I didn't finish the list on the tall white card!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

Hey wrxkev:-) I agree you may have a bit much on your plate for 1 day.. nonetheless, if you decide to stick to your plan, easy enough to just hop on the crosstown bus right on the corner at 81st and Central Park West where the Museum is.. you don't cross the Street.. the next stop once the bus goes through the park is Fifth Avenue and you're practically there.. short walk up to MET entrance;-) The single fare for both bus and subway is $2.25.. get yourself a metro card.. depending on how long you'll be here, you can get a weekly one or a pay per ride! Have fun.. and EnjoY!

Singapore
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. As time is quite "limited" for me in NY, I would have to swueeze as much as I could every day. Thanks once again for all you guys help!

10. Re: From Amnh to Met Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 17, 2013