We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

We are having much debate around where to eat on Christmas Day with our 11yr old daughter.

We are considering Helmsley overlooking central park or Chinese or Thai - previously eaten in Nan kIng on Broadway which was good not sure if it is open (have emailed to ask for menu and opening times but no response). I have also checked out the open table website but I am totally confused.

Very grateful if you could advise on the following recommendations:

Hotels or restaurants with Cravery / Buffet traditional (ie ham/ chicken etc) options.

Chinese / Thai restaurant suggestions.

We are staying on East 50th - San Carlos Hotel

many thanks

England
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

Sure the locals will guide you on this, in the meantime, is the cravery the place in the restaurant where you drool over the food ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

The 2 hotel restaurants that have been mentioned a lot here with Xmas buffet are Murals at the Warwick hotel and the Park Room at the Helmsely Park Lane.

There are quite a few Asian restaurants right near your hotel. All these Chinese places are near your hotel. If you like Peking Duck, the Peking Duck house is supposed to be very good (obviously their speciality). Shun Lee Palace is a fancier place, at one point in time considered the best in NYC.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

These are the nearby Thai, not as many and not as good.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

One thing that might be confusing for you is many of the neighborhood Asian restaurants don't take reservations and aren't listed on opentable because they're mostly more casual. The tradition of having Chinese food on Xmas was for those not celebrating Xmas (non Christians) and it started because those were the only restaurants open on Xmas day. I think the NY locals who tout having Chinese for Xmas as a NY tradition are really doing visitors a disservice by not explaining the background.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

PS since the subway runs on Xmas, there's also no reason you need to stay near your hotel. There are loads of Asian restaurants all over and you could use this as an opportunity to explore another neighborhood. I had an excellent Thai meal recently at a place called Spice on the upper west side. It's part of a small chain. I went to the one on 81 st & Amersterdam but they also have locations in the village (the one on 10th st. seems to get the best reviews on menupages)

www.spicethainyc.com/spice/home/index.html

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/spice-6/

Spice is listed on opentable so it's easy to see which will be open on Xmas day and which not. The upper west side where I went is not but several others will be. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

PPS if you want some guidance or other ideas, it would help to know what time you're planning on eating, what else, if anything you have planned for the day and what kind of budget/ambiance you'd like.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

nywhiz as ever you are a star! when with your hotel recommendation so will definitely research your links more - very much appreciated

6. Re: Christmas Dinner - AGAIN!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 17, 2013