We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hop on bus

South West Rocks...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
hop on bus

I would not book in advance as we did and ended up with two very wet days. The guides were more concerned on how much you tipped them and telling you how good they were so they deserved more tip. One guide not satisfied with the amount chased a group down the street. We sat in wet seats with the rain coming down on us, not a pleasant experience so wait and see how the weather is. I would do the complete loop once to orientate youself then catch the subway, no traffic and much faster to get anywhere

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hop on bus

So aside from the rain and (unexpected?) tipping expectations, how was the tour? It receives VERY mixed reviews here on TA and is rarely recommended on the forum. NYC is better explored on foot (combined with public transportation) but some have found that the HOHO provides a good starting overview, and it is appreciated by those with mobility issues.

Often tipping is a U.S. custom that visitors do not understand. It's a unique concept that money will be paid on the "honor system," but it is not really discretionary and optional. That's not how it works in the U.S. it's unacceptable not to tip the expected percentage (or more), unless the service provided was very bad.

Often workers are paid a pittance wage, and they are primarily working for tips. Though typically demanding a tip is considered rude, I can imagine that NYC tourist workers can struggle with so many international tourists who don't understand how it works. Tips are how they put food on the table and pay the bills. This tipping guideline includes tour guide tips: …about.com/od/newyorkcitybasics/tp/New-York-…

Did you do the Greyline tour? I'm not sure if others provide HOHO tours. TA reviews are appropriately mixed.

I think the vast majority of forum members would agree with your advise to not book a tour, especially in advance. A big bus is not the best way to explore NYC.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hop on bus

There is no need to book HOHO tours in advance and I suppose in winter, weather would be an issue.

We tipped the driver/guide for getting a good service and I know several people on the tours did not tip, no one got chased down the road!

South West Rocks...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hop on bus

This was part of the NY Pass and as it was cheaper to book on line in advance we did so but would not do either again. We did not make the most of the pass as it took so long to get anywhere on the bus and yes it is possible to visit all the attractions on the pass if you only want to spend 30 mnutes at each one but not really all that practical. As a first time visitor best thing I suggest is to take the bus for one loop and get your bearings. Pick out the attractions you really want to see, catch the subway, and pay at each one. This way you can take your time and really enjoy each thing rather than thinking you have to rush off to get your moneys worth out of the pass. We had no problem tipping but as the guide was very brash and full of himself and not especially good I can see how some would not be inclined to tip for bad service (surely that is still an option?) We did enjoy our trip to New York and are looking forward to going back to see the things we missed.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hop on bus

We used the HOHO mainly to do the complete loops although we did get off at Battery park so we can do the Staten Island ferry and later on go to Century 21.

The tickets with the museums pass is tempting but I knew in reality we just did not have enough time to do it all. We already had a pass for the TOTR and we gave the kids a vote as to what museum they like to see.

edmonton, canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hop on bus

Is the bus heated, or at least the bottom level of the bus?

6. Re: hop on bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, December 17, 2013