We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway Question

Pine Mountain...
5 posts
Save Topic
Subway Question

7-Day Unlimited Pass

Cost: $29, reduced fare $14.50

Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.

Am I understanding correctly, you can purchase a reduced fare for $14.50 and just not be able to use it after midnight?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway Question

No, that's not what it means at all.

Both the $29 regular card, and the $14.50 reduced fare card (seniors and Handicapped), can be used for 7 days, up until midnight on the 7th day of use. After midnight you'd be considered into your 8th day.

Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway Question

Best $29 ever spent ! NYC subway system is 2nd to none :-)

Pine Mountain...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway Question

Thanks Warmwinds!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway Question

Hey, I hope I'm correct! Otherwise scads of people would be buying reduced rate fares and going to bed early!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway Question

The reduced fare is only for people who can prove they are eligible - it is not for people not planning to stay out past Midnight

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,935 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway Question

warmwinds--you are correct

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,935 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway Question

note to OP: --you can not just walk up and get a reduced fare metro card. Only paying one ride at a time can be done that way.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
410 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway Question

The NYC subway is awesome and to feel like a pro riding it, download the hop stop phone ap. we used it every time we rode it and I have absolute confidence in it!! Loved it

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway Question

The MTA website is very, very clear about the reduced fare MetroCard. No doubt you saw this when you clicked on the tab for "reduced fare MetroCard":

"About Reduced Fare

Cost: The base subway or local bus fare is $2.25. Reduced fare is half the base fare, $1.10 or less with Reduced-Fare MetroCard discounts.

Who’s eligible: Customers who are 65 years of age or older or have a qualifying disability."

So, since you knew that, are you interested in the reduced fare card because you are age 65 or older, or are you interested in the reduced fare card because you have a qualifyng disability? In either case, please be assured that the reduced fare card is good at the same hours as a full fare card -- NYC Transit does not prohibit the elderly or the handicapped from riding on the subway at certain hours!

Edited: 11:30 pm, November 24, 2012
Pine Mountain...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway Question

GreenWhiteBlue.. I did NOT click the tab for "reduced fare MetroCard". I clicked on MetroCard...Fares and MetroCard...Unlimited Ride MetroCard...and the statement I posted appeared. No mention of 65 or older and no mention of disability. So, No doubt we navigated the site differently. If I had known this tid bit of information I certainly would not have ask the question. Why would you waste you time responding if you KNEW I already had the answer? Jeez..