We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

In New York currently, had good lunch yesterday and interested to see restaurant presented bill with net total and three printed boxes allowing customers to add up to 22.5%.

Didn't bother us (we've been tipping 20% in the places we've been to in cash, all had good service), but it's a useful follow-on from the "city of the outstretched hand" thread a couple of months ago.

I would imagine this time next year there'll be places with tick boxes up to 25%, as predicted a couple of months ago in that article.

Last night's dinner at a 1 star handled if better, we thought, by simply showing the total due without service leaving us free to add on a service charge.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Whatever box may happen to be on the bill, you are certainly not expected to tip 25 percent. The standard NYC tip is to double the tax, leaving a tip of a little over 16%. 20% is always a good tip. If you are in a larger party it is common for restaurants to add a standard tip - and this is usually spelled out on the menu.

Of course, if it is a restaurant that caters to tourists, tips are also sometimes included as Brits seem to be flummoxed by the whole procedure.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Hey Creep, you over thinking things a little with the tip nonesense. Just double the tax and round up and you'll be fine

Most of the places I go to I see no suggestion boxes. Perhaps because I dont eat in touristy areas where those tip boxes are needed

Instead of talking about the tip stuff, why dont you talk about where you ate and how you liked it

New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Don't feel pressured to tip more... Standard is double the tax and a few +/-$1 for good/bad service. Some places will auto charge tip but they must tell you ahead if time. Groups are usually 20%. If you loved your service them tip whatever but make sure you share with the rest of us so that we can go and enjoy it too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

What restaurant was it and how many people we you?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

No need to overthink this.

Some people are very poor with math. Even doubling an amount they can't do in their head. Nevermind the concept of percentages.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Amazing the vitriol/anti-UK rubbish that some posters spawn in response to an informative tip.

For the avoidance of doubt:

a) I have no problem tipping

b) I have no problem calculating how much to tip (and we are always generous)

c) I never feel pressured to over-tip, and can deal with this

ALL I'm flagging up is that if you go to, say, Fig & Olive in E 51st you'll get a bill with pre-printed tip options to 22.5%

I just reviewed last night's dinner at Cafe Boulud very well, and will do the same with Fig & Olive.

But there's nothing wrong in flagging up for visitors things like the tip box. Or, for exampe, that for many things we looked at in New York, London is much cheaper even at black friday prices (e.g. the Tod's shop has pairs at $420+, which are $300 in London.

TripADVISOR means reporting what's out there people!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Who said that YOU were the one with a problem calculating the tip???

Oversensitive much?

The tip boxes are there because obviously the restaurant feel the needs to help the patrons, UK or otherwise, calculate the tip.

Talking about taking something personally that wasn't meant to be personal.

Edited: 11:03 am, November 24, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Hmmmm... sorry, I should have realised that "Hey, creep" is in fact a nice, open, welcoming response to my OP, and that I shouldn't have taken it personally :)

My comments btw were mostly directed at "New York's welcoming tourist ambassador" i.e. post 2

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

Ziggy60 was probably making a sly joke on your post title or maybe not.

But he/she will have to speak for him/herself.

Speaking for myself, I am used to tipping, so I simply don't care what are in the boxes. It is not something that even registers to me.

Edited: 11:23 am, November 24, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tip creep is here.....17.5% or 20% or 22.5%

I can see where this thread is going (like all the rest of them) :)