We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

Minnesota
Level Contributor
356 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

. . . that I am fine-tuning the itinerary to a pleasure trip to NYC and asking superficial questions like "what should I do as an alternative to the Statue of Liberty crown" while I ready daily stories in the NY Times of the continuing aftermath of Sandy, people still homeless following the storm, struggles with recovery, etc.?? Just had to get that off my chest.

Berridale
Level Contributor
68 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

its hard isn't it - im the same - but they are wanting "us" to come and spend money.

My sister and I are going to see if we can help out anywhere - handing out blankets, food, moving rubbish - if we can help we will.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

I think one aspect of this is that the media will always find the absolute worst and highlight it for all it is worth.

I don't want to minimize the suffering of those living in the most heavily impacted areas but that isn't the majority - it is an extremely small minority.

On any given week in the year, there are people that are forced out of their homes due to fires and there are people homeless due to foreclosure. There has always been and sadly there always will be suffering in New York City. It is a sad fact. It doesn't make national or international news but there are people suffering.

My heart goes out to those affected by Sandy and I think everybody is doing everything they can do.

Tourists are not coming into a war zone - they're coming into Manhattan, an area that is largely back to normal and is simply in close geographic proximity to a small few areas where things are a bit rougher around the edges for the near-term (and where they have the full resources of the city, state and Federal government to help them)

You're not being told to come visit just because NYC "needs the money" but because it is good advice.

Scotland
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

If your feeling guilty about the few thousand still affected by Sandy in NY spare a thought for the hundreds of thousands left homeless all across the Carribean - upwards of 100,00 in Haiti alone many of whome were already homeless from the last earthquake / hurricane to hit the Island. Kind of puts it into perspective.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

Only people like our mayor promote ideas like "They are wanting us to come and spend money". Tourists have always come to New York and I am sure you will enjoy yourself but its not doing most people a favor-that was the rationale for not cancelling the Marathon immediately,that is was good for business..There's no reason to feel guilty but minimizing people's suffering is not appropriate.Donate a few bucks to the Red Cross here and when you get home,do some volunteer work-its outstanding that you are sensitive to the pain many people are going though but have fun while your are here and continue to contribute to society .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

I am impressed by the tourists who care. IMO its a tad dismissive to say, oh, don't worry about "those" people, you won't see them.

Please come. BUT I think it is healthy to have concern for our citizens who have suffered. Further, I have heard many people and many business in Brooklyn and Manhattan (including South Street Seaport) that have been damaged and still show signs of the disaster. Many are still closed. It doesn't matter that other locations have homelessness, NYC did and still is having repercussions; tourists are coming to NYC so the issue come up in NYC.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid a trip or feel guilty, but thanks for your awareness. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

What MoreFFmiles sez.

What you don't see on the news is the economic damage to most all businesses from the 30s south, which were without power and unable to open for an extended time. You're helping just by being there.

The South Street Seaport area was hard hit. Pier 17 is still closed, but some of the restaurants on Front Street (between Beekman and Frankfort at the seaport) are re-opening and would appreciate your business. These are places that locals often recommended in that area anyway. Cowgirl Seahorse, one of my favorites, has reopened and others are gradually coming back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

I think we have a delicate balance here, esp. for tourists, Yes, yes, please come, but I don't think we should pretend the storm had no influence. Yes, tourists will see very little, because tourist sites were not much damaged. But, still the storm, the largest ever recorded in NYC history, did have some implications. I like Battery Park's suggestion to visit a restaurant around South Street who would benefit.

New York Times this week:

nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2012/1120-sandy/sur…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

On Thanksgiving I want to remind everyone we have a lot to be thankful for, not enjoying your vacation would not benefit others hit by the hurricane, and no one would expect you to. Enjoy your vacation--you earned the right to do so. National disasters do remind us of those less fortunate, whether it be due to a storm or economic hardship. There are opportunities everyday to help others. Pay it back anywhere you can. ---a New Yorker who was hit and affected by Sandy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

Well said lollygal

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I the Only One Feeling a Little Guilty . . .

my son tells me today, his routine is 'back to normal', but for him, 'normal' will be forever tainted by the realisation that things can so very quickly go so very wrong.

he spent last weekend helping to clear out basements in far rockaway, and describes it as being like a war zone.

politicians have called for tourists to stick to their plans, saying the city needs the business. i remember the same things being said in 2001. i understand that those who feel they derive no benefit from tourism think this is insensitive. but the politicians know how fickle is public opinion..

if it were me, i would go, and not feel guilty. i went to s.e. asia only 2 weeks after the tsunami. and was glad i had, and well received once there, since so many had cancelled.

pam