We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new yorker questions

San Diego...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
new yorker questions

hello new yorkers/i heart new york-ers,

Questions -

*is 30% tip the standard for great service?

*is it best to tip in cash (when i pay in credit card)?

*anyone out there like spa castle in queens?

*best alternative to momofuku?

*upright citizens brigade - risky business or strong chance its really funny?

*discount broadway shows - lion king $140 mezzanine is that really cheap?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new yorker questions

30% is not a standard tip at all. It is an unusual and extraordinarily generous tip, although if you received truly extraordinary, over the top and really amazing service, it would not be unjustified.

Tipping in cash is more convenient for the server.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new yorker questions

For 30% the waiter better wash my car. 20 percent is fine. Tipping in cash is always appreciated, but tips on the card or OK too. What is NOT OK is to stiff your server.

I like the Upright Citizens Brigade. It is pretty low budget, but you do not pay a lot either. Obviously some things are funnier than others, but it would be worth the trip

I don't know about $140 being cheap. But, I have no idea about the outrageous prices that some shows can attract.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new yorker questions

I tip 20%.

Always tip in cash if you can, it gives your server more control over the tip. But she'd prefer a credit card tip to no tip.

I LOVE SPA CASTLE! What do you want to know?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new yorker questions

Actually I'd like to know about Spa Castle too :-)

Is it over-busy at weekends?

Do they have fully qualified massage therapists?

I know they have simple relaxation areas. Are there always beds/seats available?

Is the food very good, and are food and drink prices reasonable?

How long am I likely to want to be there on my first visit ?

I'm thinking of going at the end of this month!

Thanks in anticipation, jhwanderer ;-)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new yorker questions

1. Yes, it gets pretty busy on weekends after about 1 pm. The thing to watch out for is that on weekends, Spa Castle is very much a family location, and there are a lot of families with kids making it a day out. Now, if you have or don't mind kids, this is a great idea. But if you don't want to see children, go during a weekday or an evening.

2. I don't know about the qualifications of the masseuses.

3. There are always chairs available in the eating area, but during busy times, the relaxation room and the place where you lie on the heated floor definitely get filled up.

4. There are three levels of food. I've never been to the fancy Korean restaurant on the top floor. On the other two floors it's all snack bars and you want to stick to the dumplings, baked eggs, salad bar and frozen yogurt; the "entrees" are pretty mediocre. We typically get a round of dumplings and then gorge ourselves on french fries, frozen yogurt and fruit.

5. It really depends on whether you end up in the zone. Remember there are three floors, at least seven different kinds of pools, and more than a half-dozen different saunas, hot and cold rooms, and you periodically want to break for frozen yogurt and a nap. We tend to spend 4-6 hours there, to be totally honest.

Tavistock, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new yorker questions

I went to the UCB on a Sunday night to watch Asscat 3000 and absolutely loved it. Very cheap and a very quirky little venue

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new yorker questions

Thanks a lot, jhw :-))) Very relevant and helpful information - I'll make sure I go midweek and be ready for dumplings!

I'll call ahead the day before ans find out about masseur qualifications.

Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new yorker questions

Lion King is rarely if ever discounted.$140 ounds high for mezz. Buy from the official seller

www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1039581…

Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new yorker questions

You can't just say "a UCB show". I've seen over 100 hours of comedy at Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre. You have to realize that every night of the week is different formats/people, and not everything is meant for everyone.

Tuesdays, for example, are the Harold Nights. Harold is longform improv, and while the teams that play on this night are fantastic, is really is geared more towards people (ie. other improvisers) who who understand the nuts and bolts of it, and enjoy watching those skills on a deeper level. It's kinda like watching football if you don't know the rules. You can recognize touchdowns when you see 'em - just like you know when something's funny - but a lot of the thrill is understanding how they got to the end zone.

However, absolutely everything on Friday and Saturday nights - as well as the ultra popular Asssscat shows - are shows I can recommend to anyone. I took my parents to Asssscat and they loved it.

Other weeknight shows are a mix of sketch, improv, podcast recordings, variety shows.... just check the schedule and look at the descriptions for everything to see if it'll appeal to you.

10. Re: new yorker questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 16, 2013