We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to New York from UK this December

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to New York from UK this December

Hey,

I am planning to take my two children (15 & 12) to New York this December, as one of their Christmas gift. They are so excited. I am worried about the hotel and flights and so need advice, please. I saw the Yotel hgotel loooks quite cool and very modern and heard is near the Theatre district. How near? is it really close to the centre and is it ideal for youngsters? Also is it better to catch the flight to JFK or LGA (La Guardia)? Which one is nearer to the city? Many thanks for your help? Antonella B

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

There isnt really a centre as such.

Laguardia dont serve international flights.

www.kayak.com is good for flights.

Dec can be VERY expensive - what are your exact dates? What is your nightly budget in dollars?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

You're talking about this Xmas and you haven't booked yet??? Have you had a look at prices? Imo, the best flights are nonstop. Since you're in Crawley, flying from Gatwick makes the most sense but I don't see any nonstop flights from LGW to New York. Any of the 3 area airports are fine. In addition to JFK and LGA there's also Newark (EWR) whcih is where I thought the nonstops from Gatwick go. I don't know whether they're just booked or there are none any more.

The only thing you need to worry about being near is a subway station. Yotel has VERY small rooms. A room for 3 would have a queen or king bed and then a single bunkbed above.

hotels.com/ho377242/…

There are plenty of other options.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

If you stay near a subway station.... you can pick ANY location.... I agree completely with nywhiz.... The rooms are sometimes more pleasant out of the midtown area...... Trust your New York City advisors on Trip Advisor... they are really experts.....

west midlands
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

we're staying at the holiday inn express madison square gardens, basic rooms , no frills, clean & includes breakfast,

Not Far from macys, doesnt matter where you stay WEAR COMFY SHOES !!!!

Surrey
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

Hi Antonella,

We travelled (Virgin to JFK) with three kids (7,20,15) from the UK to NYC last year and enjoyed ourselves sooo much we are heading back this year. There is a load to do and see for the kids. We stayed at the W Times Sq, the kids loved the hotel. I can highly recommend. Its very central and we easily walk to a choice of Subways. Things the Kids loved:

Skating in Central Park

Central Park Zoo – Head for feeding time

Intrepid

Statue of Liberty

Shopping (A&F)

Empire State

Top of the Rock (at night)

Skating at the Rockefeller Centre

FAO Schwartz

Have a great trip.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your prompt replies, much appreciated.

With Lobehunters it gave me flight from Gatwick to La Guardia, but to be honest I did not check if it was a flight without stops.

I will check the best Airport for direct flights from LGW to New York as I don't fancy stopping over anywhere.

I will check the links for both flights and the hotels.

Yotel does seems to have small rooms, or so it looks from pictures, so probably in reality they are even smaller. But I thought of taking my kids there just for fun. Besides we are intending to use the hotel only for sleep as we want to do as much sightseeing as possible. Yotel gave me a price of £634 for 3 nights, which is not bad for three people. Plus the flights around £478 each.

Many thanks again to both of you for your help.

Antonella B

Thank you both for your help.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

Make sure your flight search includes Newark (EWR) as well as JFK. There are no international flights into LaGuardia (except a few from Canada.)

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

Thank you very much for all your lovely and kind suggestions.

Great help from all of you.

I wish you all (a bit early) but a very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas.

I can wait to hit New York!

Cheers to all Antonella B

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

I posted photos and notes from our recent stay in NYC for October....

It may give you some ideas!

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful trip.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to New York from UK this December

There are no nonstop flights from England to LGA. At this point I don',t think there are any nonstop flights from Gatwick to NYC.