We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip out of city

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
468 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip out of city

Hello,

We will be going to new york next autumn and would like to do a short (4 days for example) trip out of the city by rental car. The objective is not to see another city like boston or washington, but to explore a bit "real" countryside. Preferably, not too touristic. We do not need big attractions. We would prefer driving around, stay in charming places and nice small countryside hotels.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip out of city

You want to go to the Hudson Valley, Catskills and Finger Lakes area of New York State - famously beautiful in the autumn, and all within a four-hour loop from NYC. Visit Beacon, Woodstock, Ithaca.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip out of city

The Catskill area is beautiful that time of year. There is New Paltz, which is a lovely town with lots of little shops and restaurants. Close by is the famous Mohonk Mountain House http://www.mohonk.com/

We were just there last Sunday... Lovely.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip out of city

Hudsonvalley.org

Easton,Pa
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip out of city

My suggestion would be the Amish Countryside around Lancaster,Pa. Many small towns with quaint shops and it truly is the polar opposite of NYC.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
468 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip out of city

Many thanks

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip out of city

I was in central and western Connecticut recently. There's many small towns there (including old colonial towns) that would fit your description, such as Wethersfield and Litchfield. In October, the foliage could be brilliant if you're lucky enough to be there the right week.

You could also look at Tarrytown and Irvington, NY - much closer than Connecticut with bits of history, historic mansions, etc.

Regarding Lancaster, PA, my last experience there made me think that the place had become way overcommercialized and was no longer authentic.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip out of city

The trick with PA Dutch is not to go to Lancaster, although many side roads around there are good (272, 222, 722, Danvile Pike) or go up to Berks County and Lebanon County (home of Lebanon sausage) and drive thru the less spoiled countryside (still PA German rather than Amish.) Another find is the PA "horse country" Ercildoun, Buck Run) or closer to NY - Bucks County (about 70 Mi.) with old stone farm houses, etc.

Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short trip out of city

What about in December? What's a nice place to check out briefly while in NYC?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short trip out of city

Perhaps Boscobel Mansion. I've not been but it would make for a nice daytrip I think.

mta.info/mnr/…outbound_boscobel_gardens.htm

There are other daytrips by train on the left side of that link.

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short trip out of city

I highly recommend Rhinebeck. Both in the fall and in December are beautiful. The oldest hotel in america is there. The Beekman Arms. In December the trees on the main streets are completely lit with white lights. Beautiful. Many small shops and restaurants. A great beer and cheese place right on Rt. 9. Grand Crue.