We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
190 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

Will be arriving at JFK on Christmas Eve wihout a decent coat to keep me warm and dry for two weeks in NYC and Ohio . Can anybody tell me where (near the JFK hotels precinct )I could buy a good but not expensive coat on the morning of Christmas Day? What is the best type of coat to buy if one is just walking around the streets of Manhattan or the suburbs of Dayton, Ohio?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

Near JFK hotels--there is absolutely nothing, near JFK! There are no stores, no restaurants, no public transportation, nothing!!! Please do not tell me you are staying there for two weeks!

2. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:45 am, November 19, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

Please take the time to buy a nice wam coat in advance of your visit. Buy an umbrella when you get here.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

That is weird - your other thread on the same subject has completely disappeared.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

Many stores, even in Manhattan will be closed on Christmas day. Seriously, web-shopping is the way to go for this.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

Layers. That's the New York way. You might not "need" a coat for a short time. Layers.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

I agree that you will have a hard time shopping on Christmas Day. Can you order a coat and have it delivered to your hotel for when you arrive? www.llbean.com and www.landsend.com will have some good options.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

I agree that buying a coat on X-mas day is problematic. I'll also warn you that if the weather is very cold and windy, you really must have a way to keep warm as soon as you step out of the airport.

Consider shopping ebay for a discount (or used) warm jacket. A basic insulated "puffy" jacket is a good choice. You can find down-filled ones for less than $100 on Overstock.com overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/…product.html.

I'm sure there's also a great selection on eBay, and buying used could make sense if you're wanting to keep costs down.

Note that hoods are not practical in the city. They mess with your peripheral vision for crossing streets, navigating crowds, etc. Get a separate hat and a scarf. You can probably delay purchasing those until after X-mas day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

If you live in the Us and know your size, on-line shopping is the way to go.

Of course you can wear a hood in NYC. Lots of people do.

There are very good after Christmas sales, that begin the next morning. Century 21 across from Ground Zero has great prices and styles - a famous discount store. Not for Plus sizes, though.

10. Re: Where to buy a coat on Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013