We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
New York City
Search

West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?

Singapore
Level Contributor
592 posts
111 reviews
81 helpful votes
West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

We are coming to NYC in December and I have read the guidebooks, asked the experts here and last night it suddenly struck me - is west village the same as Greenwich village? I am really sorry if this is a super stupid question. I recall its the same but was unsure. We intend to go there to walk around and have dinner.

We also want to go to Brooklyn but I don't know what to walk around there. Any tips? We want to go the Brooklyn ice cream factory, eat pizza, and go the flea.

We will take subway to Brooklyn then walk back to manhattan.

Thank you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,389 posts
74 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

The West Village is part of Greenwich Village.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
108,256 posts
13 reviews
36 helpful votes
2. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

Just the way there's a midtown east and midtown west, there's an east village and west village, both of which make up the village or Greenwich Village. Look at the map here

http://www.menupages.com/

As for Brooklyn, it's a borough of NYC, not a neighborhood. It's actually bigger than all of Manhattan. The Brooklyn ice cream factory is near the Brooklyn bridge and most tourists combine it with a stop at Grimaldi's pizza. But the lines there are often long and most locals feel it's highly overrated and not worth the wait. Ignazio's is another pizza place in that area. But frankly, if you're going to the Brooklyn Flea, you'll find lots of good food right there at the flea which is in Williamsburg at One Hanson Place for the winter, not that near the bridge.

www.brooklynflea.com/markets/#smorgasburg.

You'll want to take the subway to Atlantic Ave. This shows the distance (and how you'd take the subway) from the flea to Brooklyn Ice cream factory.

http://goo.gl/maps/aJWco

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

What is now called the West Village is the original Greenwich Village. Greenwich Village was originally a community on the shore of the Hudson River; it was reached from New York across the Lispenard meadows by way of the Road to Greenwich, which is now Greewich Street. The major landowner in the area was Sir Peter Warren, whose daughter married extremely well (she became the Countess of Abingdon), and who celebrated his family's connection to the nobility by erecting a monument to hs son-in-law at what is now Abingdon Square, and a pleasure-drive and walkway that led to it, which is now Greenwich Avenue. When Washington Square was built, it was also considered Greenwich Village, but the idea of a "West Village" only came around by analogy to the "East Village"; which had always been considered part of the Lower East Side up until the 1960s. Because the Lower East Side was considered slummy, those artsy new residents who arrived in the 1950s and who preferred to be associated with nearby Greenwich Village invented the new name "East Village". As this took hold, the idea grew that the center of Greenwich Village was Washington Square, and what had originally been Greenwich Village in its entirety started to be called the "West Village."

Brooklyn is not a neighborhood, but is instead a borough that is three times the area of Manhattan with a million more inhabitants and many more neighborhoods. You therefore need to decide what part of Brooklyn you want to explore.

Singapore
Level Contributor
592 posts
111 reviews
81 helpful votes
4. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

thank you both so much.

I have yet to read up much more on Brooklyn and will post back in a few days time when i have done so, so that i can ask for help with specific areas. Thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

The Brooklyn Flea will be moving to its winter home in the Williamsburg Bank Building. This is in the Center of Brooklyn near the Barclays Center. There are various great neighborhoods and sights to visit there including - Park Slope, Fort Greene, Botanic Gardens, Prospect Park and the Brooklyn Museum.

If you want ice cream and pizza, maybe you can eschew the tourist places like Grimaldis and head for food in the Slope. Places like La Villa, Pepperoncino, Central Pizza and others on 5th Ave have great pizza. And Caramello may have the best ice cream in the city. heresparkslope.com/home/2012/6/6/open-for-bu…

Singapore
Level Contributor
592 posts
111 reviews
81 helpful votes
6. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

Thank you!

I have just read a little on Brooklyn!! Plenty of great places and food. I m thinking of taking the subway to Atlantic ave to go to the flea, then walk along flatbrush avenue, grand army plaza, prospect park. Then dinner then back to manhatten. Is it ok to walk back in the bridge after dark?

What restaurants do you recommend if I want to go to Brooklyn for 2 days?

What cafes or restaurants do you recommend in park slope? We like American or Italian. Budget nothing too crazy.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
137 reviews
40 helpful votes
7. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?
Save

Good comments are already posted, so I just want to add something. Look at timeout.com and view articles under Brooklyn. Food, look at a web - Edible Manhattan or/and Edible Brooklyn. They are really cool. Thrillist.com is a very very good site for younger generation - I get cool event info from them all the time...

Have fun!

8. Re: West village same as Greenwich village? Brooklyn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 16, 2013