We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

Indore, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will restart as I don't see the information on the mta site? We are visiting New York next week - staying Mid town Manhattan and need to go to Lower Manhattan for SOL etc

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

Click on SERVICE STATUS then on the line you want: The trains ARE RUNNING just some of them arent going to all parts of the line:

http://mta.info/weekender/servicestatus.html

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

Right, they're NOT RUNNING to lower Manhattan, like the OP said.

OP, if you've seen the pictures of South Ferry station, that's connected to the Whitehall Street station on the R. It was VERY badly damaged. No word on reopening. There are other lines that run to lower Manhattan - the 4/5 to Bowling Green gets you there. Note that the Statue of Liberty is also still closed.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

From an article this morning- " With catastrophic flood damage at the South Ferry subway station, as well as in the tunnel that serves the R train, the MTA isn't even projecting a timetable for a return to normal service." silive.com/news/…incart_river

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

nydailynews.com/new-york/train-manhattan-bro…

All I can add is that projections on these things have not all been accurate, so you'll need to keep checking like the rest of us. The Rector Street station on the #1 line was supposed to be opening, then it wasn't, then it suddenly did. Some of the phone lines downtown that are still out were projected to be back in December, but ours came back on this week. There are still other phone lines that are out, so you may see restaurants that are cash-only because they can't process credit cards.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

Some time next year. The tunnel to Brooklyn was very severely flooded, so nothing will be running below 34th Dt on those lines for months,

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

The R was the train that I used to take from Park Slope to City Hall. These days I take the R to Atlantic/Barclays and switch to the 4 to the Brooklyn Bridge stop in Manhattan. As an alternative, I take the 2/3 from Bergen Street to Park Place.

While I await the R running its complete route - there are alternatives that will get you where you R going.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

It was reported in today's paper that the R will resume service below 34th street, including to Brooklyn, in 7-14 days.

Pasig, Philippines
Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

Thank you for these updates! I'm also planning my itinerary and have been wondering what the condition of the N & R trains/subways are.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I my q is related to South Ferry. Is the terminal closed? Or can I still ride the ferry for a view of the Statue of Liberty?

If I can't take the train, how can I get there from the 9/11 memorial?

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

The ferry terminal is open and you can ride the ferry. The South Ferry station on the #1 subway line, however, is severely damaged and won't open for some time. This is sad, because it was a beautiful new station, but it's not the same as the ferry terminal.

You can walk there easily fom the 9/11 memorial.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any clue when N, Q, R services to Lower Manhattan will resta

If you really didn't want to walk, you could take the 4 or 5 train from Fulton Street to Bowling Green to get to the ferry from the memorial.