We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your thoughts on a very long walk!

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Your thoughts on a very long walk!

My daughter and I will be in the city the last week of November, this will be my 5th trip and her 6th, one day we would like to walk from our hotel-The Kitano at 66 Park Avenue to The Highline - Chelsea Market and ending up in Greenwich Village. We both enjoy walking and are just want to enjoy exploring these area. What route would you take to get to the Highline and after Chelsea Market where would you go from there to explore Greenwich Village.

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

This is how I would do it, but am sure everyone else has there own ides. I would go all the way down 5 th Ave and turn right at 15th and go all the way to Chelsea Market get out at the end and on to 10th Ave. cross the Street to the elevator on 16th and you are up the Highline. When you are done at the Highline go down into 9th Avenue and walk down into the Village. Au particular spots you tend to stop and visit? Shopping? Dining?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
636 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

From Chelsea Market walk south down 9th Avenue and cross West 14th Street. Walk down Hudson Street which is on the East Side of Dos Caminos restaurant. Continue down Hudson Street. You'll see a little park called Abingdon Square Park. West 12th Street is the northern border of the park. Walk past the park. Make a left. Then make a right on Bleecker Street. Bleecker Street has a lot of high end clothing boutiques. If you continue down Bleecker, you'll come to 7th Avenue South. If you keep walking down Bleecker you'll reach 6th Avenue which is also called Avenue of the Americas.

The streets in the West Village for the most part go off on angles. Some streets run diagonally. West 4th Street crosses West 12th Street. Greenwich Avenue runs from 8th Avenue to 6th Avenue.

Is there any particular place you're interested in seeing in Greenwich Village? There's a lot to see and do there and some excellent restaurants and jazz clubs.

If you want to see Washington Square Park, one of the entrances is on West 4th Street and Macdougal Street.

I know Greenwich Village well, since I've lived here for over 30 years.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

Well the High Line now starts on 30 st. and your hotel is on 38th st. so most of your 30 min. walk from the hotel on Park ave. over to 10th ave. will be heading west where there's frankly not that much to see unless you want to shop/window shop in the garment district area.

If you head to Fifth ave. along 38 st., you'll hit Lord & Taylor (38-39 st.) and you can have a look at the Xmas windows. If you then head south on Fifth to 34 st., that's the big 2 way thoroughfare where you'll find lots of stores like Victoria's Secret, Old Navy and Macy's (and also lots of crowds). Broadway & 32 st. has the Earrings Plaza for cheap costume jewelry.

www.yelp.com/biz/earrings-plaza-new-york

If you need any electronic/camera equipment and are not doing this on a Sat., B & H Camera is another possible stop at 9th ave. & 34 st..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

You could also save your feet for later in the day just walk down to 34 st. and take the crosstown bus on 34 st. west to 10th ave. and just walk the 4 blocks south to the 30th st. entrance which does have an elevator.

www.thehighline.org/about/park-information

Exploring Greenwich Village is really a matter of what you want to explore. There's a market for up and coming designers at 159 Bleecker st. open Wed-Sun.

themarketnyc.com/themarketnyc/WELCOME_to_The…

Here's a link to a website I like for self guided walking tours. This is one for Holiday shopping in the village but it's 3 yrs. old so not sure how up to date the info is.

walkingoffthebigapple.com/2009/11/bleecker-s…

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

Thanks so much for all your ideas, now it's on to planning. We will be in NYC for 5 days and this particular day is just to go to Chelsea Market, the Highline and Greenwich Village, we will probably get something to eat at Chelsea Market and just browse and explore in Greenwich Village.

Thanks again, we are getting very excited, this is our first trip at this time of year and we can't wait to see the city all decked out for the holidays!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

These are both specialty museums, but you could choose to swing by The Morgan Library (an architectural landmark as well) or The Rubin Museum (formerly Barney's clothing store). You might also care to check the Chelsea art galleries for something you'd like to see. I'm sure you've seen the 42nd street library on previous visits, but usually the lions have Christmas wreaths around their necks. I'm not big on the Christmas Village in Bryant Park, but it is very popular, as is the ice rink there.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,212 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

Wow, Whizz, great post! Thanks for those links ^_^

7. Re: Your thoughts on a very long walk!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 16, 2013