We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

My Partner and I are loking for a venue to buy tickets for NYE in New York.

I really want to the "Times Square Experience" so I want to see the ball Drop but enjoy the night before hand.

I'm looking at spending around $300 each, we are both 21 so somewhere fun with a view :)

Any suggestions?? The websites are confussing and I have seen a few reviews but really want the best night as its our first time in New York!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

Believe it or not you may have to up your budget.

Very few places have a REAL view.

Many places don't actually have a view and will say things like "watch the Ball drop in real time" so be careful.

This is from FAQs on TImes Square's site;

Which Times Square restaurants and hotels have a view of the Ball?

Renaissance New York

R Lounge

DoubleTree Guest Suites

Marriott Marquis

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

Sbarro Pizza

Olive Garden

Expect prices from $500-1,000usd for a table with a view at the parties in the above places (if they have availability left).

If you want the real experience of waiting in the crowds (for free) here is an idea of how long you may have to wait. Just use the bathroom before you go, bring gum or mints (don't drink too much before you go). Warm gloves/hats -A couple chewy trail bars & hand held games/books/music.

Also from the FAQs-

Here is the timeline for LAST YEAR'S street closures and viewing areas and are subject to change without notice. We will update as more information is release by the NYPD. This information may be helpful for planning your trip to this year's event:

3:10 PM - 7th Ave & Broadway closed from 43rd St. To 49th St (cross streets at 3:30 PM).

4:55 PM - viewing areas filled north to 48th, south 40th-41st St

5:00 PM - cross street closures begin moving from south to north as spectators arrive.

6:05 PM - viewing areas filled to 52nd St.

10:30 PM - 7th Ave viewing areas filled to 59th St.

10:35 PM - viewing areas filled to 58th St., south to 38th St.

11:00 PM - Broadway viewing areas filled to 59th St.

11:00 PM - viewing areas filled on 59th St., 6th – 7th Ave.

For other night life while you are here these links maybe helpful-

www.ohmyrockness.com

&

http://event.websterhall.com/

Whatever you decide to do Have Fun!

Edited: 6:04 pm, November 17, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

Thanks so much for your feedback!!

I think we are going to be in the crowd i feel it would be an awsome expericence!!!

thanks again :)

1LH
La Verne, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

I too will be in NYC for NYE. I want to see the ball drop but not wait outside in the cold with no bathroom, etc. In an effort to find a place to spend the evening with a view of the ball drop, I looked on a google map of Time Square with the satellite view zoomed in and started calling and/or e-mailing every restaurant, bar and lounge near Broadway and 7th from 43rd to 50th to inquire about their NYE event. My efforts paid off.

I found and made a reservation for my group of 4 at the Brooklyn Diner (www.brooklyndiner.com or 212-265-5400), located 155 W 43rd St (43rd and Broadway!!!). The event cost $295.00 per person, plus tax and 20% gratuity, has what appears to be a great location with a chance to see the ball drop barring police activity, a prix-fix 5 course dinner, passed hors d' oeuvres, party favors, and a midnight champagne toast. I'm excited. The contact, Brian, said they have been able to go out on the street that is closed to all but the guest of 3 restaurants before midnight to watch the ball drop from 50' away. Drinks are not included and they don't have a DJ but they have a full bar and a sound system. It works for me.

With tax and tip, the price will be over $300 per person and drinks are extra but you will be there to see the ball drop. Not sure if this helps you or not but thought I'd share just in case.

Edited: 12:45 am, November 20, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

Hello MTI-n-NYC, thanks for that list. Do you know what happens if you want to get back to your hotel that is located in these areas? We are off to Lincoln Center for a concert on NYE. It begins at 7.30 (but I don't know what time it finishes). Then, depending on the weather, we will either go to see the fireworks and runners in Central Park or go back to our hotel (the obvious route between Lincoln Center and our hotel is in the areas that were closed from 10.30pm on your list at #1). Ofcourse we can go the 'long way 'round' (through Central Park and over to 5th Avenue if necessary). Many thanks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

What hotel are you at. If your hotel is in the area you will be given ID and instructions by your hotel. If your hotel is not in the area, but the area in on the way to your hotel, you will have to go around. It IS a closed area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

Thanks rdglady. I'll find out from the hotel when we arrive.

London, England...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

Hi Hope you can help. There are 3 of us going to NYC from the UK and are looking for a fab rooftop with a table servie and open bar all night with fab music for NYE. Alot of the places say groups of 4 or more. Do they do tables for 3 at all? And can anyone recommend a good venue with a good package at all?

If not also we would be interested in finding a good ol New York bar full of the new yokers as i feel therooftop bars may be full of tourists like myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vicki

Tongarra, New South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

I was in Time Square last year for NYE and gotta say was one of the best nights of my life. We got there early (about 5:45 in the morning and ended up with an amazing spot right in the middle of times square with a view of everything. Admittedly you could probably go a bit later there was barely anyone around when we got there. Could probably get there about 9 at still have a good spot. We were right next to the camera so got on TV a few times too and was able to get photos and stuff with stars as they were walking up on stage. Was an awesome experience definitely recommend being there. Had other friends who were there and decided to go to a party. They paid about $500 for one that claimed to be able to see the ball drop. What they didn't realise was seeing the ball drop meant watching it on TV. They were very disappointed. Would definiterly recommend being in Time Square. But my recommendation would be not to eat or drink much for the day cause it is pretty tight so once you move out to go to the toilet or something there is very little chance of you getting back in. We just had a big dinner the night before and then spent about $30 in Maccas on the way back to our hotel the next morning. Like I said though definitely worth getting in amongst it if you can was an awesome night

Edited: 3:37 am, October 22, 2013
9. Re: NYE-New York 2013 Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 24, 2014