We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

We want to walk across Brooklyn bridge when we visit at the end of the month and would like to walk from Brooklyn to manhattan. How do we get to the Brooklyn side of the bridge by subway? What station do we need to go to and how far is it from the bridge entrance? We have reserved tickets for the 9/11 memorial on the same day at 10:30am, do you think it's possible to do this walk before we visit the memorial centre in the morning? We are staying on 157 w 47st, roughly what time would we need to leave the hotel to get subway if we did it all before 10:30?

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

There are many ways to do this, but perhaps the easiest is to take the A or C train to High Street (the first stop in Brooklyn. Cross Cadman Plaza West, and a small segment of park to reach Cadman Plaza East. Walk towards the East River (or the two bridges, a left turn on Cadman Plaza East.) You'll see a sign (and a hot dog wagon or R.O.S. cart) for "Brooklyn Bridge Walkway", on your left, if you're on the left sidewalk of Cadman Plaza East. It's perhaps 150 meters from the Subway exit signed Cadman Plaza West down below.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

Are you just walking the Brooklyn Bridge for the exercise and views??? Because otherwise you might want to take one of the walking tours that gives you the historical background of the Bridge.... (Big Onion is our favorite) If not, at least download a podcast so you will really have an appreciation for the accomplishment. I would not rush your time in Brooklyn.... the promenade is beautiful also.....

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

Read the Idiots Guide to the Subway, it has a lot of great information on how to get to the Brooklyn bridge, and walk it. If you intend to use the subway during your visit, I would also print the guide and take it with you. Its a great source of information.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

Thanks for all your replys. Yes we are doing it mainly for the views

Boston
Level Contributor
24,419 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

" We have reserved tickets for the 9/11 memorial on the same day at 10:30am, do you think it's possible to do this walk before we visit the memorial centre in the morning?"

Its possible depending how early you start but it cutting it a bit tight.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k866178-…

Edited: 7:40 am, November 11, 2012
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

Thanks for the link, very helpful. How long do we need to allow ourselves to walk across the bridge, would be a leisurely walk stopping

To take pictures.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

I'm not sure how to answer your question except to say that it takes me 20 - 25 minutes to walk at a brisk pace from one end to the other. If you want to walk at a more leisurely pace, say it could take 35, maybe even 40 minutes. Say you want at least 20 minutes to stop for picture taking - then an hour.

Leave Midtown around 7:15 - 7:20 and get to the bridge by 8:00AM. Be into Manhattan by 9:00AM and over to the 9/11 Memorial by 9:20. That would be my plan.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

Our tickets for the memorial are for 10:30 so if we left our hotel at 8:00am that would give us plenty

Of time do u think?

Edited: 2:39 pm, November 11, 2012
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

BB is one of my favorite attractions when I visit NYC. I always just take a cab to the Bridge from wherever I stay, walk the bridge, and walk back to my hotel.

Don't forget your camera!!!!

10. Re: Best way to get to Brooklyn bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 23, 2013