We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

I am taking my partner to NYC for our first time. I am so excited and she doesn't even know yet. I'll be telling her on Christmas Day.

We'll be away for her birthday, I've got a day full of little plans for her.

I was planning on proposing on her actually birthday too. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a great location for doing so?

Taking in account that it might be very cold.

I would like to avoid

- a restaurant

- somewhere over crowded / cliche

- a baseball game :P

I was thinking perhaps somewhere nice in Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge. Somewhere remote though.. But I do also like the idea of seeing Brooklyn Bridge or Central Park on TV and Films and thinking "aww man, that engagement was awesome!!"

I'm open to all suggestions.

Any any experiences / places I should definitely visit / eat at. We love good food (not snotty places though) we're quite easily pleased :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Simon.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

jane's carousel under brooklyn bridge - assuming it recovers from its recent flooding

http://janescarousel.com/

it has the advantage of being inside a glass building, so sheltered.

i think it's beautiful!

pam

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Thanks for that Pam, Just had a look, and it looks lovely. Being indoors could be very useful and I imagine that the view of Brooklyn Bridge would look stunning at night time :)

Essex
Level Contributor
331 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Hi,

My husband proposed to me Feb 2010 in Central Park by an isolated bench. It was perfect. It had recently snowed so the lake next to the bench was iced over and looked so pretty. Can't remember exactly where the bench was but maybe someone else can help? It was at the bottom of CP at the apple store end. We were at the lake and walked over a bridge and there it was.

After my husband had popped the question it only felt right to celebrate so we went and had some Champagne in the Plaza!!!

It was truly something to remember.

Hope this helps,

Gem

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Thanks Gem,

I was strongly considering Central Park. It's so iconic, and also in many of our favourite films (home alone 2 mostly!) I hope it snows a little bit whilst we're there. That'd make it perfect :)

Then on to some bars for cocktails and some vino.

Essex
Level Contributor
331 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Ur welcome, whatever u decide to do I'm sure it will be amazing as it will be special to the both of u.

Good luck,

Gem

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

It will be extremely easy to avoid a baseball game, as baseball is not played in the winter (the championship series at the end of the season takes place in October/very early November).

Other parks to consider are the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights, and the parks on Roosevelt Island, which you could reach bythe aerial tram.

Although this may sound odd, one possible indoor space that will be both grand and not full of hordes of people is the vast and unfinished Episcopalian cathedral of St. John the Divine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Me and my partner went the start of October. The most beautiful place I have even been and it truly had the wow factor was the over side of brooklyn bridge. We went at night time about 9.30 and stood on the coast and looked across to the city. Was stunning. Was very quite when we went a few other people but very quite and personal. Was beautiful seeing the city lit up it truly had that wow factor. Would love to go back and be proposed there my self.

When you see the typical canvas on the new York skyline that's what we witnessed. Hope it goes okay let us know what u plan on doing

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

Have you been to the area around the Brooklyn Bridge????

We were recently there in NYC for a month and spent 3-4 days in Brooklyn.... so many lovely locations..... photos on a blog that I wrote....

check the entries for Brooklyn, Brooklyn again and Only In New York Activities.... I put in lots of pictures for my family while we were gone....

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

It is lovely there.....

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,034 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

GWB - I think St John the Divine is a really great idea!

10. Re: Unique Proposal Location - January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 02, 2013