We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

Have been using this a lot to check out locations but am wondering how old the photos are as quite a few pics show different businesses or construction which I realise is pretty standard for any city. Does anyone know when they were taken?

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

I neglected to clarify I am referring to the google maps street view photos. Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

When you are on street view, at the bottom left it tells you the date

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

Well I didn't know that! It does explain why a corner deli near the hotel on Broadway becomes a corner cafe when I try to get closer to it! I now see that there are different dates at the bottom of the further away and closer shots. I have been puzzling about that for some time! Thank you

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

Thanks. I just went back and had a closer look (with my glasses on ) and there is faint text which says "google" and a year that appears and disappears in seemingly random spots as you move the view around. Never noticed that before. I learn something new every day on TA.

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

BTW I am using Google Maps for new ipad. Is it a different version perhaps?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,405 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

Google is going to post on all their applications the newest photos they have. It doesn't matter how you are accessing it. AND some photos will be newer than others.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

One thing new I learned recently about googlemaps - in some areas, you can actually enter a store or restaurant and look around. Found this by accident while researching a recent trip to Paris.

8. Re: Just out of curiosity - when were the google photos taken?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 29, 2013