We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

Northern California
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

Does anyone have any insights, inside knowledge as to the anticipated duration of the closures of SOL/Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Air and Space Museum in the wake of Hurricane Sandy?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

The management of those places would probably be your best option for checking for updates. All of them have websites advising to check back for updates on when they might open.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

Hello, we are arriving in NYC on Tuesday. After researching i also concluded that i probably would have to remove SOL and 911 memorial from my itinerary. Luckily, there are alternatives. SOL website doesnt give an estimated date of reopening but they are not taking any bookings for next week when we are visiting. However the river cruises are on so will try to get on one of them for a closer view (though i guess they will be crowded with all the people whose statue tickets had to be cancelled).

I think there is a chance for 911 memorial to reopen soon. If it doesn't then we will pay a visit to St Pauls (BTW does anyone know if it is open?).

I am really impressed how quickly the subway is being restored. My best wishes to everyone affected by Sandy.

Edited: 11:27 am, November 04, 2012
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

Things are coming back really really fast.

The challenge with the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Islands is simply that the infrastructure (boat docking, etc.) was destroyed. They'll need to rebuild the infrastructure so the boats can dock their again.

There was also some damage to the Challenger so I'm not certain how quickly the Intrepid will reopen.

I have to imagine that the 9/11 Memorial will reopen fairly soon but I don't know exactly when.

Everything else is coming back pretty much through the weekend. I think we'll be greater than 95% by midweek and close to 99% by next weekend. A couple subway tunnels may take a bit longer.

Staten Island, The Rockaways and the area around Coney Island / Brighton Beach may take a little longer but when you start shifting all the resources that contributed to the restoration of Manhattan to those areas, I have no question it will be a speedy recovery. There isn't any place in the world better equipped to get things repaired and rebuilt quickly and efficiently than New York City.

New York City Department of Sanitation was out picking up the garbage in Lower Manhattan in the dark without any electricity - that was impressive. At night in the pitch black they were out getting things cleaned up. I'd like to see that happen anywhere else in the world - only in NYC.

Even the street sweepers are out.

I remember seeing articles earlier in the week about how the rats might take over NYC - such nonsense. The city is clean and functioning well.

Northern California
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

Anybody hear any new news on these issues today? The Intrepid's website is down.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
841 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

9/11 memorial update:

"This city has always endured because of its spirit and our collective comeback from Sandy will be no different. As a step in that direction, I am grateful to let you know that the 9/11 Memorial will re-open tomorrow, November 6.

As recovery efforts continue, our temporary hours of operation will be 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with the last entry time at 3:30 p.m. and we ask that you please be patient as the number of daily visitors we can accommodate will be limited"

6. Re: SOL/Ellis, 9/11 Memorial, Intrepid Museum---Closed How Long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 13, 2013