We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

My wife and 3 friends had booked a trip to New York 6 months ago and everything is pre-paid flights, hotel, etc. they are not sure if they should cancel there trip or not? Our feelings go out to the people who have lost there homes and loved ones. Just looking for peoples thoughts on this, my wife is very torn.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from $83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from $36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

Where are they booked to stay?

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

They are booked in at Holiday Inn wall St.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

As you've been told, that area was one of the worst hit and there's no power there now. A lot of that area was flooded. If your wife and her friends still want to come to NYC, I'd strongly suggest they try to change the location of the hotel. While hopefully there will be power by then, the trip will be easier if they stay further uptown.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

I expect most of the city will be at or above 90% normalcy by the end of this weekend.

Wall Street was hit hard but there will be plenty of resources focused on getting Wall Street back up and strong quickly.

I think it is a bit too early to say whether the Wall Street area will still be feeling any impacts of this storm come three weeks from now. If you were arriving this weekend I'd say definitely look uptown. Give it a few more days as we're supposed to have a lot of services restored this weekend - no need to make a final decision on where you stay in three weeks right now - today.

Most of the heavy damage and devastation is in places like the Rockaways and Staten Island. Unless you seek it out, you are unlikely to notice anything unusual on your travels in three weeks from now.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

I too should be arriving on the 24th Nov, due to stay at the Hilton Fashion District . I am not sure how much damage there was in that area.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

None at all.

I just walked through the neighborhood today. A very very small tree (not much larger than a potted plant) fell over.

The Fashion District is not near the water and is not near the Battery. There was full power on in that area when I walked through this morning. Whether or not the hotel was without power at any time I do not know but now things are fine there.

By November 24th the very small tree causing the slight diversion to pedestrian traffic will be fully resolved.

Food deliveries are proceeding as scheduled. Water is safe to drink.

The pictures you're seeing on TV of the devastation and the burned homes are on Staten Island and in The Rockaways.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

Hilton Fashion District should be fine. I'd still be concerned about staying down near Wall st. even if power to the area is restored, a lot of buildings down there had flood damage.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,528 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

Though you'll want to avoid staying in the worst hit flooding areas, there are many workers and business who rely on tourists for their livelihood.

Though it makes sens to stay away at right now (due to hotel room shortages and transportation overcrowding), weeks from now there will be enough hotel rooms, adequate transportation options, and many people relying on visitors for their livelihood.

I can't imagine the hardship of many restaurant and other workers having no income for multiple weeks, combined with the financial hit of the actual storm period .

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to New York November 24 good or bad idea

Thanks for your replies.

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply