We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Penn Station

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Penn Station

We are on a flight arriving into JFK at 2:15pm on a weekday. How much time should we allow to pass through customs and immigration, and then transfer by taxi to Penn Station?

I dont want to book a onward train with a connection time that cuts it too fine.

Thanks!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Penn Station

It's impossible to know because it's dependent on what other planes, from where, are landing at your terminal. I've been out of customs at JFK in 10 minutes; I've been out in 90 minutes. The variable was always whether another plane was landing at the same time, and where from.

Allow approx. 1 hr to get a taxi and get to Manhattan after that mysterious customs delay.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Penn Station

However, if you are going to Penn Station, you would do better by not taking a taxi at all. It will be bot faster and cheaper to take the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica, and the Lond Island Rail Road from Jamaica to Penn Station

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Penn Station

A lot depends on when you're making this trip. Right now and for the next maybe 3 weeks or more, all bets are off in terms of timing and delays. The only trains you'd need to book a time for are Amtrak. I would allow 5 hrs. to allow for plane delays, immigration and travel.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Penn Station

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback

There's five of us, inc three kids 6->13 so I'd rather keep it simple (so it's actually a private car transfer, but same deal as a taxi). In the spring, not anytime soon.

Yes, it's onward to Washington via Amtrak - which is why I need to get a feel for how late in the evening I should be booking my connection. Sounds like at not before 6pm at a minimum.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Penn Station

Why wouldn't you fly???? Often flights are no more expensive than the train. If you were starting in the city, taking the train city center to city center makes sense. But since you're already at the airport, I'd fly. Save yourselves the time and expense of getting into Manhattan. Use

kayak.com

to check flight prices and make sure to check Jetblue.com if it's not on the search engine. It may be too early though to see prices for next May. I think it's also too early to be booking a train this far in advance.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Penn Station

Taking the train from JFK to Penn Station is simple. It certainly is simpler than arranging transportation through a car service for 5 people.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Penn Station

Using a car service from JFK Airport to Penn Station makes no sense at all. It will cost a lot more money and it will take longer and be less reliable.

The way to go would be to take the JFK AirTrain and get the LIRR at Jamaica.

Silly to take the train to Washington if you're at JFK. There are very low fares between JFK Airport and Washington D.C.'s close-in Reagan National Airport.

Where are you arriving in JFK from? If you're coming from Australia, you will already clear U.S. Customs in Los Angeles. Why wouldn't you fly Los Angeles to Washington D.C. nonstop rather than into JFK at all? Have you booked the transPacific flights already?

8. Re: JFK to Penn Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 11, 2013