We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stayin in East Village

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Stayin in East Village

I really feel for NY and the other states, bless them. I have never been to NY and I really do not know much locations and transportation.

I was wondering if anyone knows how bad East Village got hit, that is where I was planning to stay.

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,062 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stayin in East Village

There's no power in the east village. When are you arriving?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stayin in East Village

I know the East River got all the way up to Avenue C; NYPD's Housing PSA 4 is located on Ave C between East 8th and 9th, and got flooded out -- that command alone lost 14 cars to flood damage.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stayin in East Village

Thank you both for your fast responses and for the help.

NYWiz: I will be staying there at the beginning of December, I know that is hard to say how things willl be by then, but I was wondering since I really do not know the city and I do not feel really inform for the same reason.

GreenWhiteBlue : Thanks for the info that help to get some perspective, I just looked at a map, I am staying like 5 blocks away from that station in Avenue C around E 3rd St.

Hoping that NY and all the other states will be better soon :(

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,062 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stayin in East Village

I hope you havent rented an illegal apartment. What hotel have you booked?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stayin in East Village

I am staying in an apartment, what do you mean with illegal?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stayin in East Village

Sorry, I just read the New York City: Vacation Apartment Rentals Article. I was not aware of this. Thank you so much for the info. I can cancel the apartment any time, so that is pretty much the only thing I can change. The girl who lives there seems nice and has good reviews. But I am going to look for a hotel once again.

If you have any hotel suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,769 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stayin in East Village

GWB! That's awful to hear about 14 th Street as I have been frantically trying to find out if a relative who lives near that precinct is fine. Last I heard from her was Monday saying she was going to be fine in her apartment watching tv.NOT! No reply to emails after as she surely won't have telephone service of any kind. She is in her late 60s and and an NYCer so normally should have good survival skills but you never know.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stayin in East Village

WEQueen oh no! I hope you find her soon and that she is all well and also her place. Hopefully is just having some communications issues.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,769 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stayin in East Village

I am hoping she just doesn't have access to her computer and moved out by Tuesday to be with friends. I hope the area is not flooded so that the only issue residents of that particular neighbourhood have to face is lack of power and can return home when that goes back on. The sad cases are where flooding has rendered homes and apartments unliveable.

Thank you for your sympathy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,062 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stayin in East Village

I hope your relative is ok WEQueen. Isn't your daughter in NYC? Can she not go check on her?

mosorno, if you want to post dates and nightly budget we can try to help you find another accommodation.