We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park and ride from Philadelphia?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
222 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Park and ride from Philadelphia?

Driving to NYC from philli today. Where is a good place to park the car overnight and ride a train or bus into times square area? It's only for one night.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

I usually recommend for people coming from Philadelphia to park by the Staten Island Ferry terminal in St George, SI, by the ball park. Its $7 for 12 hours and $14 for 24 hours.

The toll is $12 for the bridge and but free the other way. Take exit 10 on the NJ Turnpike and take the Outerbridge Crossing. The ferry is free. Then, take the 1 train or R to Times Square right outsie the terminal in Manhattan.

The SI Expressway may have traffic.

Or, park in Jersey City and take the path.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

Where are you headed after NYC?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
222 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

Back to philli tomorrow night.

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

I would just take the train from phhilly.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
222 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

I thought that too but looks like we will save over $100 and a couple of hours so we went with the car. Should be an adventure.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

It might be more convenient just to park overnight near your hotel...try www.republicparking.com (others will correct me if that's the wrong website) to find a more reasonably priced garage than what your hotel is probably charging.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

The cheaper way to come from Philly (and much cheaper than driving when you add in gas and tolls and parking) is to take SEPTA to Trenton, and NJ Transit from Trenton to New York. This typically takes an hour more than Amtrak because of all the local stops, but it does not cost much at all.

Amtrak from Philly to NYC is always faster than driving, so I don't know where you get the idea that you save "a couple of hours" driving instead of taking Amtrak -- which your dollar figure shows you mean.

If you do drive part way, would recommend parking in the big lot at Secaucus Junction/Frank Lautenberg station, at exit 15X on the NJ Turnpike. While the parking and the train cost more than Georgia's option, there is no bridge or tunnel toll, and it is a much easier and faster ride with less traffic.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
222 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

Thanks for all the help. Ended up renting a car and driving to Staten Island ferry. Rode the subway in and here we are. Worked out good but not as cheap as I thought. Ended up with the car because we are traveling with lots of luggage as we are flying out of Philly for a dive trip Tuesday. Car was nice and convenient. Traffic was good, less than 2 hours to the ferry.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

Last subway is at 7pm.

10. Re: Park and ride from Philadelphia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 30, 2013