We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

'Little Italy' downtown vs 'Little Italy' Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Weve been to NYC a few times and had xmas eve dinner at Grotto Azzura last year but iv heard a few whispers about Arthur Ave.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Is it safe for tourists? where would you recommend?

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Whispers? What whispers? Perhaps it was something like "Arthur Avenue is a commercial center for a neighborhood in New York City where a number of Italians and Italian-Americans actually live, dine, and shop, while the area that tourists fondly imagine deserves to be called Little Italy hasn't been Italian in decades, has restaurants that are just mediocre overpriced tourist traps for visitors who don't know any better, and is about as Italian today as Sparkhill in Birmingham"?

If so, those "whispers" would be correct -- although I don't know why you heard this as a "whisper", because it is certainly no secret.

Yes, it is safe for tourists; it is just a little hard to get there from Manhattan by public transportation.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Sounds like a recommend then! had to laugh at the 'sparkhill-Birmingham' analogy as your quite right, Thanks for taking the time to post, I appreciate it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

No comparison! Arthur Avenue/187th Street in the Bronx is a real "little Italy" and should not be missed if you are interested in seeing/eating there! You could also combine a trip to The Bronx Zoo and or The NY Botanical Gardens, since they are both walking distance to Arthur Avenue. And, Yes, Arthur Avenue is Safe! Good Luck & Enjoy your trip.

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Thanks so much for your reply, all tips are very much appreciated!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Arthur Avenue.

And while you are there, why not check out the Botanical Gardens which are nearby.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Where's the best casual Italian food, upscale Italian, and pizza on Arthur Ave? Is the food here mostly red sauce or Sicilian or ? What's your favorite? Thanks!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

I can highly recommend Trattoria Zero Otto Nove. I guess it would be sort of mid-range? Great food though

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

I would guess that the most popular sit down restaurants are Rigoletto Pasquaei's, Robertos, and the previously mentioned Trattoria Zero Otto Nove. Here are their reviews from Yelp :

http://www.yelp.com/biz/robertos-bronx

www.yelp.com/biz/rigoletto-pasquale-bronx

yelp.com/biz/trattoria-zero-otto-nove-bronx

The last time I ate here my bike club stopped into Full Moon Pizza and had some amazingly great slices. This was followed by desert across the street - canollis anyone? www.yelp.com/biz/full-moon-pizzeria-bronx

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

If anyone still insists on going to the other little Italy (the fake one) because it was your childhood dream or whatever reason, at least do yourself a favor and eat in the area to the north of it, Nolita (North of little italy). You got some yummy treats there like Parm, Torrisi Italian Specialties and Rubirosa

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Little Italy' downtown vs Arthur Ave, The Bronx?

Thank-you.