We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
New York City
Search

Umbrellas from a street vendor?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
20 reviews
43 helpful votes
Umbrellas from a street vendor?

From a small chance of a thunderstorm (when I left home) to this! A 90% "chance" of rain.

I came completely unprepared for rain. Just not thinking - no rain suitable jacket.

I remember there being umbrella vendors out on the street once before when I was here. Are they legitimate - or a rip off and how much should I expect to pay? Or would a Duane Reade type of store have them?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

Duane Reade will have them.

If you buy one on the street, you shouldn't pay more than $5.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
20 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

Thank you - I'm glad I asked. I was thinking $20!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

Btw, I'm not saying you won't get quoted more than $5 -- I'm saying you shouldn't pay more than $5.

Helsingborg
Level Contributor
824 posts
22 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

I made the mistake last time being in New York when the rain hit i ran into som fancy sporting gods shop in SoHo and left with a 40 dollar umbrella, 2 minutes later the street was filled with people selling umbrellas (not really but it felt like it).

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
85 helpful votes
5. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

Just bear in mind that the umbrellas the people are selling on the street for $5.00 are the absolute lowest quality and you shouldn't really expect it to be something you'll get much more use out of than just for today.

Luckily we're not having a wind-driven rain like the Nor'Easters we get in November / December. This is just plain rain so you'll be fine. The wind driven rain we get with Nor'Easters tear those cheap umbrellas to shreds in minutes.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
40 reviews
62 helpful votes
6. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

for $20 you can pick up a raincoat in tj maxxx or burlington coat factory. for $60, my husband got a wonderful waterproof coat with real down detachable full lining, which would have cost 5 times as much here.

pam

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,823 posts
17 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

Think of them as disposable or emergency umbrellas. Never pay more than $5, and never expect them to last more than a week. That said, they're a Godsend if you're caught out in the rain.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

There's a nice poncho at the transit museum branch in Grand Central with the subway map all over it. I've been meaning to get one. Perhaps today will be the day.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
382 reviews
591 helpful votes
9. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

While most umbrellas from a street vendor will serve the purpose, if you are nearby a Rite-Aid, CVS, or Duane Reede, you may be able to get a larger golf umbrella for a few dollars more! The smarter store managers move the umbrella rack/display to the front of the store when it rains, so they should be easy to find! Stay Dry!

Edited: 9:18 am, October 19, 2012
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
27,098 posts
25 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Umbrellas from a street vendor?

A large golf umbrella is challenging when walking on crowded city streets (unless you happen to be quite tall and can hover over everyone else and their umbrellas). Even a regular sized one takes some degree of attention.