We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Jersey City?

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Jersey City?

Hi,

I am going to New York at Christmas for my honeymoon. We are flying into JFK and staying at the Westin Jersey City Newport Hotel (479 Washington Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ 07310).

I know there is a fixed rate for taxis from JFK to Manhattan, but can anyone advise how much the fare will be to go out to Newport? Or whether we should be looking at doing this journey on public transport? The hotel is very close to Newport PATH station apparently.

Thanks in advance.

59 replies to this topic
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

Jersey City is really suboptimal if you're flying into / out of JFK.

Long Island City (Queens) on the NYC subway is much better.

The PATH train has limited connectivity within New York City. It doesn't go up near Central Park, to the museums, etc.

NYC taxi's do not have to go to Jersey City as it is in another state. You may be able to negotiate with them but it would be very expensive and you'd need to pay their roundtrip fare as they can't pick up in NJ (and the $12.00 toll makes it even more cost prohibitive)

You could take a taxi from JFK to a PATH station in Manhattan but you might as well just take the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and get the Long Island Rail Road into Penn Station as it is the fastest and most economical way to get into NYC. You'd then be one block from the 33rd Street PATH station.

I strongly recommend you consider another location for your hotel as Jersey City is not optimal - especially with JFK as your airport.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

It's already booked, so no!

I had a look at Dial 7 and they quoted $90-something.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

Plus you will pay tolls and tip the driver so ~$120 I'd guess.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

You're stuck. Although there is a public tranportation way to do this (directions given by moreFFmiles) it would be a lousy way to kick of a honeymoon

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

If you are stuck with the hotel, can you at least change your flight to Newark Airport? That way you will at least be landing on the same side of the Hudson, and in the same state, as your hotel.

Note that Jersey City is in the state of New Jersey, and not the state of New York. State borders have real meanng in the US; they are in fact more significant than the border between England and Scotland. Criminal laws, taxes, courts, police, driving regulations, alcohol licenses, -- you name it -- are matters of state legislation, and they are different in New Jersey from their equivalents in New York. One result of this difference is that the New York City subway does not go to New Jersey, and New York City taxicabs are not required to take a passenger anywhere in that state except to Newark airport (although a New York City taxi cannot pick up a passenger there.) The Port Authority is a bi-state agency, and so it operates the Port Authority trans Hudson (or PATH) trains between Manhattan and New Jersey -- but PATH is a separate system with separate fares.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

I'm sorry - this sounds like a nightmare - I feel badly.

Just the traffic alone to get across Manhattan from the bridges coming in from Queens / Brooklyn to the tunnels heading out to New Jersey can be quite the time consuming affair.

$90.00 sounds a bit conservative. The trip might take two hours and I don't think it would be good to tip the driver less than $20. Then you need to add tax and tolls so I think you're looking at over $125. (plus the two hours you're losing).

At least you can save some money (and time) taking the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, the Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station and the PATH train from 33rd Street / 6th Avenue to Pavonia / Newport (Jersey City).

It doesn't really sound like a honeymoon to me as much as it sounds like a complicated mess of logistics that I'd hate to endure (but at least it is better than sitting in traffic and paying a king's ransom to Dial 7).

I hope you can at least fly into Newark where you'd be able to get a local NJ taxi to take you from the airport in Newark New Jersey to your hotel in Jersey City New Jersey (they're both in the same state that way).

Sorry.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

Staying in Jersey city from JFK is a breeze and it's actually really nice. I live a few blocks from the water and it takes me exactly 15 mins to get to work in Midtown Manhattan. I used to live in Brooklyn Heights and it took more than twice as long. It seems like the so called destination experts giving advise on these forums should not give any reccomendations if they cannot give truly credible advise.

A great way to save money rather than taking 17 modes of transport is to take a cab to the WTC path station totaly cost $52 and then hop on the path cost $2.50. If not a cab to the downtown Jersey City area should be around $100 with tip and there are a million things to do. Bars reastaruants a long promenade, parks, musuems.

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

dude stop digging up old posts

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

It will be $66-70 to the WTC path station inc tip and tolls

Your criticism of the de's is both unfair and unwarranted

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Jersey City?

The trip has long since passed anyway! We actually just got the train and then the path. Was really easy and cheap - we loved seeing the suburbs from the train on the way too.

Reply to: JFK to Jersey City?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted