We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

Hi me and my bf are arriving on NYC on Thursday 29 move, please can you have a look at my itinerary so far and advise wether this do-able. I welcome any feedback or tips. Thanks :-)

Thursday

Arrive @ JFk 11:00 am - shuttle transport booked with go NYC

Check in at note and unload luggage

Time square and diner at Ellen's stardust diner

Take a walk to the Rockefeller centre to see the Xmas tree lit at night.

Friday

Breakfast near TOTR and then per booked tickets to the viewing deck at 11:15

Grand central terminal

Bryant park

Evening

Go to see the Knicks play at MSG hopefully if we can get reasonably priced tickets

Saturday

5th avenue

The plaza (just to take pictures)

Evening

Twilight river cruise booked at 6:00pm

Sunday

Ground zero

64 perry street (big sex and the city fan)

China town

Macy's

Evening

Buffet meal a the view restaurant

Ice skating at the Rockefeller centre

Empire State at night

Monday

Shopping

Central Park

Evening

Radio city Christmas spectacular @ 8pm

Tuesday

Early lunch as getting picked up at 14:30 for our flight home.

Thanks for looking at this, look forward to your comments.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

Ellen's is terrible. Skip it. The View is also terrible. Skip that too - or just go for dessert/drinks, not dinner.

The residents at 64 Perry St are not fond of tourists bothering them. The stoop is chained off and signs requesting you to stay away are quite visible. Please respect their wishes.

The term "Ground Zero" is dated and offensive. Refer to the 9/11 Memorial.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

Sorry didn't mean to cause offence to anyone it is what ive read in my tour guide book which is obviously quite dated.

Edited: 1:23 pm, October 09, 2012
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

You absolutely do not want "shuttle transport"; cancel that and plan either on taking a taxi, or taking the airport coach, or using public transportation (and note that you can't go to NYC from JFK for the simple reason that JFK is already in NYC: it is located in Queens, the largest of the City's five boroughs in area and the second largest in population.)

As Rockefeller Center faces Fifth Avenue, there is some repetition between Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Sunday is all over the place -- how did Macy's end up in there?

The skating is much better at the Wollman Rink in Central Park, and just as iconic -- you would do better merely to watch the skaters on the crowded and expensive little rink at Rockefeller Center.

You may want to plot things on a map, and then regroup them.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

The transport company is called "go nyc" I didn't mean to go from JFK to NYC! .We have already booked and paid for the transport, it was one of the cheapest options and has up to 8 people in vehicle. Why is this type of transport so bad?

Macy's was the one thing left on our "to do list" so just put it in where we thought we would have time. We could possibly go there on Monday as part of our shopping trip.

Skating at the rock is something I've always wanted to do, so it's not so much the fact of going ice skating its the venue that we want to do it in.

Thanks for the advice tho :-)

Edited: 2:09 pm, October 09, 2012
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

The reason is this:

Say you're the first two people to arrive. The last two people to arrive could arrive 2.5 hours after you do - and you have to wait for them.

Then, when you get to the city, you could be the last hotel on the list. You have to wait for everyone else to be dropped off first.

Worst case scenario - you could be on that shuttle for 4-6 hours.

Things are cheap for reasons.

Edited: 2:12 pm, October 09, 2012
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

Oh that sounds terrible. Are there any other companies that you would recommend obviously don't wanna waster half a day on a mini bus.

I have just looked at the terms and conditions of our booking and think we may be able to cancel.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

No shuttle company is good. How many of you are there, and how much luggage? A cab or the train will be better (and probably cheaper), depending on how many of you there are.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

There is just two of us and two suitcases and possibly one small piece of hand luggage. I've looked up dial 7, what ur thoughts on this?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

dial7 are highly regarded

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinion on 5 day itinerary please

Do You recommend booking with them rather than getting a yellow cab. I think we have managed to cancel our booking with gonyc--although the telephonist wouldn't confirm it and told me to wait for an email.

Edited: 4:19 pm, October 09, 2012