We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

Howell, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Topic
Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

Just looking for most efficient way into Manhattan (best bang for buck).

Time in to NYC area: 3:30PM

Option 1: Drive through Lincoln Tunnel and park in Icon garage 3 blocks from destination (44th and 9th ave) - $13 dollar rate

Option 2: Drive to Journal Square and PATH it to 33rd but then walk it/subway up to same area (44th and 9th) ($10 dollar parking plus PATH)

Time out: 2:00 AM

Thank you for any assistance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,480 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

If you're looking for advise on $$$, only you can answer that since you haven't told us how many of you there are that would need to buy PATH tickets and I haven't checked the PATH schedule to see how frequently it runs at that hour. Have you? I also assume you realize if you drive into Manhattan you will pay tolls through the tunnel. There's a heavy tax on parking in NYC. Does that $13 rate include tax?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

The PATH only runs every 20 minutes at 2AM, so as long as you won't be drinking, I would drive in.

Howell, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

Sorry there nywhiz - two people. Tunnel toll is not big deal considering parking cost. 13 dollars including tax on the coupon...I'm suspect at that price but it does look legit.

It just looks so convenient but wanted some New Yorkers opinions which tend to be most realistic here.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

"Drive through Lincoln Tunnel and park in Icon garage 3 blocks from destination (44th and 9th ave) - $13 dollar rate"

Drive!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

You wrote "Tunnel Toll is not a big deal." It's $12 into Manhattan and free outbound, so it about is the same cost as the parking (before the 18.375% tax). The PATH train is $2 per person, so a total of $8 for the two of you on a round trip.

The main advantage of the PATH train is that it just gets you there, and no worries about incredibly long traffic backups.

And be sure that garage is open at 2 AM, and that the fee doesn't double at Midnight. You know the PATH runs 24 hours/day though infrequently after midnight.

www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule.pdf

That said, some people (like my wife) hate getting out of the car and getting on the train, but I hate fighting NYC traffic, so we park as close as possible, like Pavonia Avenue/Newport Mall Station. And PATH is clean and reliable.

Edited: 11:29 am, October 03, 2012
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

"The main advantage of the PATH train is that it just gets you there, and no worries about incredibly long traffic backups."

Traffic backup 2AM? Traffic at 2AM? In New York City?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

No, Bill, obviously he meant traffic coming INTO the city at 3PM on a Saturday afternoon.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,480 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

I've looked on

bestparking.com

and

iconparking.com

and see no option for a $13 price anywhere near where you're talking about for parking on a Sat. from 3:30 pm to 2am the following day. Obviously if you found some special deal, only you can determine whether it's legit. I can tell you that without a reservation you print out and bring with you, it's also possible you get there and they tell you "we're full".

Howell, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

Hey nywhiz - sorry that (44th and 9th) was my ultimate destination. Garage is located on 41st and 10th - iconparkingsystems.com/facilities/…

I think i'll try the drive - hopefully it is not full and there are no hidden fees...

Thank you all for the advice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,480 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saturday into Manhattan (west side)

The coupon is good for up to 10 hrs (your time frame was 10 1/2) and based on availability. You must print it out in advance. Good luck.