We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

Hi,

I am considering buying a new mobile phone at one of the Apple stores in Manhattan during our trip over next month.

I have read previous posts on this on TA in which people have said that you cant buy an iphone without taking a package with one of the US providers, AT and T or Verizon,etc.Also that the phone wont work anyway when I return to Ireland.

I have then also read elsewhere the opposite!That the phone CAN be bought on its own, without a package and that it WILL indeed work!It can be unlocked?

I'm confused.Can someone give me the up to date position on this please?

Many thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

I found this on Apple's Irish website,

"SIM-free and ready to use.

When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, you’ll get it SIM-free. So you can sign up for service with the carrier of your choice and change your carrier at any time."

Its currently priced at 679 euros.How would this compare with the US?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

The unlocked iPhone 5 is not available in the US yet. It will be available within a few weeks. It will probably cost $649 at an Apple store for the base model.

Yes, that means this specific model is available in other countries before the US.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

Thanks jhwanderer, though I'm surprised.I thought the US got all the new stuff first....

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

95% of mobile phones sold here are locked to an individual carrier. So companies don't tend to introduce non carrier locked phones here before other countries where that's less normal.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

I'm there Nov 2nd so I'll call in the a store and see are they available then.

The ipad doesnt have any such problems does it?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,906 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

I don't understand why you'd want to buy a phone here when the warranty won't be any good at home and it will likely be cheaper if you buy it with service in Ireland. Can you explain?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

Its cheaper to buy it with a package right enough nywhiz but that package is more expensive than if I have a phone before I go into a provider.

If I pay the price of a phone in an Apple store and then go into a provider here, the package will be cheaper.Every month.Do you get me?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,906 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

I get you but I'm surprised that's so. The way it works here, getting the phone with a service package is MUCH cheaper, especially as there are minimums you must pay for data usage. M4RKM is expert in all things phone/iphone so I'd either PM him or hope he answers here.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

Well just to illustrate.My current phone I got with a package that comes to €70 a month.But I've since discovered that if I went in with my own independently bought phone I could. have got the same usage terms for €50 a month.That contract is just up, hence I'm thinking of buying a new phone myself before choosing the best deal for me.

I was under the impression that techy devices on the whole were cheaper in the States.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying an iphone in NYC?Or not?

OK, The iPhone 5 is the first phone that comes with LTE (4G) capability. Apple have made multiple models of this phone, which works in different countries around the world.

The European Model supports the following frequencies, 850MHz / 2100MHz / 1800 MHz.

The US Model supports the following frequencies - 700MHz or the 1700MHz/2100MHz up/down stream bands.

The spectrum auction in Ireland is selling 800MHz, 900MHz and 1800MHz, frequencies, and therefore you can see that the US Model is incompatible with the Irish 4G frequencies.

If (and this is a big if), the iPhone 5 is available SIM Free, by the time you hit NYC, then you'll be buying the iPhone 5 that is compatible with LTE frequencies in the USA, and no others.

If this doesn't bother you, that you'll never be able use the faster 4G bands while you have the phone, the fact that as you have a US Model, you will have to take it back to a US Apple store for warranty then go for it.

Bear in mind though, once you add on your 23% VAT on your purchase when you enter Ireland as it is over your €430 allowance, it isn't worth it

$649 for the 16GB, plus tax (nearly 9%), makes the phone $707. That is now €550 at todays exchange rate . Plus 23% VAT makes it €676, saving you THREE Euros on a phone that is incompatible with 4G networks in your country. Not worth it in my opinion.

M

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America