We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Full Days in NYC - Itinerary Help

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 Full Days in NYC - Itinerary Help

Hey guys. I've never been to NYC, so any and all advice/help is welcome and appreciated!

I'll be flying into LGA at about 8:30pm on Wednesday, Oct 10. We will be staying at the Quality Inn Woodside, which I found to be right next to the 7 train into Times Square. We will be flying out from LGA on a 2:55pm flight on Sunday, Oct 14.

So, first off - what would be my best best from getting from LGA to my hotel in Woodside? Would I be better off taking a cab or is there any sort of public transit that would be a better option?

I understand you can get a 7 day metro card for about $30 which would allow me to ride the subway (and buses?) for the full time.

Wednesday we'd like to do something that night, but I suppose it depends on what would be the best to do at night.

I haven't figured out at all what to do each day, though I do know of quite a few things that I want to do. Definitely want to check out Times Square, Central Park (maybe rent a couple of bikes for an hour or so), Ground Zero and WTC memorial, Grand Central Station, Battery Park, Top of the Rock Observation Desk, getting up for GMA, Empire State Building, as well as probably some museums, and hit up some bars for some drinks at night.

Within the next week I'll definitely be trying to time these out and planning them on a day to day basis, but as of right now I don't have much figured out.

I'm big into photography, so any places that will provide good photo ops I'll definitely be up for that.

I do know that on Thursday (10/11) night, we'll be going out to dinner for my girlfriend's birthday. I've been looking at various restaurants, I really did like the Little Owl restaurant, and we might go there.

Basically I'm just looking for any feedback possible. As you can probably tell it's a little scattered right now and we don't have much of a solid plan.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
550 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Full Days in NYC - Itinerary Help

I don't know anything about Woodside, the hotel you've chosen, or the transportation options, so I'll leave that to others...

As far as the sights you want to see, I'd recommend getting a map of Manhattan and plotting things out to see how they group together. For example, Battery Park, the WTC, and the 9/11 Memorial are all near each other in Lower Manhattan.

You say you "might" go to The Little Owl for your girlfriend's birthday dinner, so I assume that means you do not already have a reservation. For 2 people on Thursday 10/11 all that's left is 5 pm or 5:30 pm. If you're prepared to eat that early, you should quickly secure one of those slots through Open Table.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Edited: 2:31 pm, September 30, 2012
Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Full Days in NYC - Itinerary Help

October is great weather so we enjoyed walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (take the subway over and walk back toward Manhatten.) There is an article on the right about the best way to go on the subway and how to find the stairs. In lower Manhatten we also enjoyed taking the free Staten Island ferry past the Statue of Liberty. You just go across and get off and take the ferry right back. We also enjoy a walk thru bustling China town although some might not recommend. We like TOTR better than the Empire State Buildng and would suggest Times Square after dark. And definitely some time in Central Park!

Edited: 3:03 pm, September 30, 2012
3. Re: 3 Full Days in NYC - Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 15, 2013