We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

Mobile, Alabama
2 posts
Save Topic
Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

I am visiting NYC with my family in December and have been excited about our visit. However, I am discouraged about reports of rat and cockroach infiltration throughout the city, including at the highly recommended family hotel with which we have reservations in the UWS. With hotel room rates at $300 per night, you at least expect not to be joined on your trip with pests! I mean mice even caught hanging out at olive bins at upscale supermarkets! Any reassuring thoughts or do I need to bring RAID and mouse traps?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

Sadly, roaches and rats are facts of life in New York; however the likelihood of finding them in your hotel room is pretty small. If you want to see rats, the most likely place to find them are scampering on subway tracks.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

Hola.

If we were concerned with roaches & rats (and bedbugs), we would most likely sell our place in NYC and stay in Mexico or Fire Island. Of course, in Fire Island we have mice, foxes and raccoons, and in Huatulco we have scorpions and geckos….it is a “critter filled” world and we simply live among them. By the way, what critters are roaming around in Mobile?

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

No there is no "infiltration" in NY. As to rats they are occasionally seen on subway tracks. I have never seen them anyplace else. Roaches do exist in NYC (and I'll bet in Mobile) and they are small. But they are not in hotels or generally on the streets. They are more a problem in older apartment buildings with lots of food, many tenants, etc.

Don't expect to see any, unless you walk on subway tracks or visit old residential apartments.

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

You are worrying needlessly. If you are referring to the Beacon Hotel, we have stayed there before and loved it and will be staying there again soon (and I'm pretty picky.) We love the UWS as a base to visit NYC. You could see a bug anywhere but it's unlikely you will see rodents, but heck, I had a mouse in my garage last month, that's just life. In fact I've seen many more bugs in southern states than I have in New York. So don't worry and enjoy your visit, NYC is awesome!

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

I enjoy watching "Billy the Exterminator" on tv but am always eternally thankful that I don't live down south. You seem to have every varmint and critter on earth down there! I'm sure you'll be able to handle a fleeting glance experience of a rat on a subway track.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

Chill. Have been to Manhattan many times and never encountered a cockroach, rat, mouse or bedbug in any visit. The Upper West Side is a great neighborhood to stay in. Have a wonderful time!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

If you have both cockroaches and rats also, then consider yourself lucky. A cockroach is no match for a rat and the rat will eat any roach it can get it's mitts on. So if you see a rat in your room then you're almost for darn sure not to have any cockroaches.

Don't leave your dinner lying around your chamber, keep food out of your trash, wash your face before bed and cover up your toes at night and all should go well. Bedbugs are another nasty story though.

8. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, September 30, 2012
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

There are rats and roaches in New York City as well as most other ciities I've been to in the world.

I am yet to learn of any place in the world completely free of pests of any kind.

I will say that I much prefer being in New York City where I don't have to worry as much about deer, deer tick, mosquitos (west nile) and other flying things that buzz in your ears. We don't really have those things but rats and roaches are not unheard of. Generally speaking they don't bite and they simply go about their business.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cockroaches and Rats!---Oh my!

"I am discouraged about reports of rat and cockroach infiltration throughout the city, ..."

You can even see them on the subway.

"Any reassuring thoughts or do I need to bring RAID and mouse traps?"

Bring the RAID and Mouse Traps, but our rats and cockroachs are a tough breed that these will have no effect. Our cockroaches can be the size of your thumb and the rats have been know to scare off the a gang of stray cats.

"Generally speaking they don't bite and they simply go about their business."

That is very true as the are simply looking for their next meal or sneak into a Broadway show.