We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

surrey, england
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Hi, am looking to make a first ever 3 night trip to New York at the end of November with 3 daughters - all teens. Looking for advice on hotels and things to do. Have looked at Crowne Plaza Times Square and Sheraton - any advice??? Or others.

And how best to fill the 3 days - want to see as much as possible and shop too!!! Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Affinia.com

Do you have a guidebook? The FAQs also contain a lot of useful information. What do you want to do and see?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

A suite hotel can give you 2 double or queen beds and a sofa bed. In addition to many of the Affinia hotels mentioned above, some others are

Doubletree Guest Sutes

Sancarloshotelnyc.com

Blakelyhotelny.com

Beacon hotel.com

Kimberlyhotel.com

London based agency

Www.apartments2book.com

Hs contracts with many of these and can often get better pricing.

If you want a bus tour

Onboardtours.com

Does a good job.

Realnewyorktours.com

Uses subway and walking and

Freetoursbyfoot.com

Is self explanatory. Have a look at the top questions on the right side of this page for lots of good info.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

PS

Oyster.com

has photos of a lot of these hotels. Check pricing on

Kayak.com

Quikbook.com

Too.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Doubletree Times Square could work as they have rooms with 2 Queens and living area with sofa bed.

Eastgate Tower also has suite style rooms. We had 6 adults in a 2 bedrroom suite which also had a living area.

Eastgate Tower is associated with Affinia and they are the group that comes to mind when looking for family accommodation.

I would get your teens to write down their must dos and work from there. If you're there for Black Friday then you can do some shopping before it gets too busy if you arrive at shops very early then around 10.30-11am head off to do some sight seeing and go back to the shops in the evening when its less busy.

Thinking of this again then you have the Affinia Manhattan just along from Macys which have rooms to accommodate your size of party. That may work well for you for the 3 days. We stayed there once for Black Friday and it was good to be able to drop off purchases and head off to do something else.

You will have no problem filling 3 days.

Have fun!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Would you consider two rooms? Cuz, you're going to have shower / bathroom issues in the morning (I think most suites in general just have one bathroom).

We have a party of five (4 adults, 1 teen) going in late December and booked two rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - Chelsea for two nights & we thought it was reasonable for NYC. We did the two room thing because of the shower/bathroom issue. Otherwise, we'd be FOREVER in getting ready for the day with one bathroom and 5 people.

Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

We loved the Doubletree Times Square! The service was great. The location is perfect if you want to be in the middle of Times Square. We had 2 doubles and the living room had a pull out sofa. Perfect for us. I think that the rooms were rather large as well.

The subway station is right outside the from door with the opposite direction train station about a block away.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Thanks for all the replies. We are probably looking for 2 rooms as the girls are 17, 15 and 13.

Has anyone out there stayed at the Crowne Plaza to say if its good?

Can't ask them what they want to do as its a surprise trip!

I've got a guide book but I guess I'm just looking to find out what the absolute must dos are within 3 days!!

Thanks everyone

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,098 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Cool! Over my years of travel I have realised that half of the joy of a trip is the anticipation, especially for kids. Maybe you can "surprise" them now with guide books and maps. THis will give them a chance to plan and savour every moment. If they find out on the plane they will be gidy with joy, but really will not have the time to find things to do that they think are cool.

I just took my 16 year old girl, she didn't want to do any really "touristy stuff", she wanted the Guggenheim, flea markets, Greenwich VIllage and lots of walking to take photographs.

The problem with, and the joy of, NYC is that there are literally thousands of "must sees" depending on taste and budget. I am up to my 8th trip and I still have a to do list. You can look at the "what to do" link at the side of the forum, it has tons of ideas, and unlike a guidebook it has reviews. Hopefully you know the girls well enough to find stuff that they will love.

Edited: 9:09 am, September 30, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

The Crowne Plaza is fine.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

But you might want to check with any hotel you book if you plan to put the girls in a room on their own.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: new york hotel for family of 5 -help!

Hi everyone - getting closer now and thanks for all the advice. Just wondered does anyone have any views on The Kimberley Hotel. Obviously its not Times Square but is it still a good position - the reviews seem quite good or is it too out of the way??

Thanks all